Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kerning Arabic font

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

im trying to change keenin in Arabic font . And apply it through paragraph style on all the text. Is there any way to do that ?

It works when I'm trying to manually change the kernin but it's not applying on thr text .

Thank ,

joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Although you can manually kern individual pairs of letters and specify “tracking” (global amount of spacing between letters) to a particular style, there is no way in InDesign to specify and save global overrides for any font's own kerning table.

If you believe that a particular font has very poor kerning tables, one thing you might try is the automatic kerning option which applies kerning based on the letterform shapes. It works fairly well with Western Latin alphabets, but I don't know how it m

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* trying to kerning the font and apply it using paragraph style on the text .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you can manually kern individual pairs of letters and specify “tracking” (global amount of spacing between letters) to a particular style, there is no way in InDesign to specify and save global overrides for any font's own kerning table.

If you believe that a particular font has very poor kerning tables, one thing you might try is the automatic kerning option which applies kerning based on the letterform shapes. It works fairly well with Western Latin alphabets, but I don't know how it might work with Arabic.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Arabic script is similar to Cursive in Latin languages, you don't have to adjust Kerning or Tracking that often, we rather adjust Kashida that joins characters together within single word.

Try this option instead of Kerning or Tracking… In Paragraph Panel, you need to first select one of the line justification atop of the panel. Then play with "Insert Kashida" options [ None • Short • Medium • Long • Stylistic ] to see which of them suits your job.

Kashida-length.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, why I can't find the "insert kashida" option? I try to change the language and everything to arabic already but still cant see the option/setting. I am using Illustrator 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines