Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kerning for automatic page numbering

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have problem with the inabbility to globally change kerning value of certain numbers when they are added through the auto number feature.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

When I build an automatic current page number, I build it on the master page. I create a paragraph style for it. In the attributes of the paragraph style, I mostly set the kerning method to Optical. You might like the way Optical method adjusts character fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I build an automatic current page number, I build it on the master page. I create a paragraph style for it. In the attributes of the paragraph style, I mostly set the kerning method to Optical. You might like the way Optical method adjusts character fit.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mike is suggesting, Optical Kerning is the perfect solution to your page numbering kerning issue.

When using Metrics (the default), all numbers use the same exact amount of space in the width. So narrow numbers, such as "1" always look like they have way to much space on either side. Metrics is great, when you have numbers in columns, because it makes adding the numbers easier.

But, for most other uses, Optical is a better choice. It kerns the type by comparing the relative shapes and sizes of each pair of characters to make the negative space between all characters equal. It called Optical because it is optically (not mechanically) correct, so it's like kerning type by eye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that depends on the figures type. The bahaviour you've described applies only when tabular figures are used, I've selected proportional figures, but still didn't like some pairs.

Anyways, I decided to use another typeface, so I guess this thread can be marked as "solved".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dominikj65234843  wrote

I have problem with the inabbility to globally change kerning value of certain numbers ...

The answers from Mike and Jeff should work, but which specific numbers are causing the issue in which specific typeface? We might be able to make further suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem and found out that if your text box is too small in your master page, it will try to fit the number within that box. So just make sure your text box has extra room for longer numbers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, up to the point where numbers are even reversed.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, thanks for pointing this out. It was driving me nuts. This fixed it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CORRECT ANSWER. Thank you. Worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines