• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kerning to lose orphans and widows in a book

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, kind community, for answering my questions from this old Quark production person.

I'm trying to clean up orphans and widows in a book. What's the highest number I can kern tighter before it starts to look heinous? I know with Quark it used to be -3 of their units. What's the current consensus for InDesign kerning? What is the max I should see in this spot?

kerning.png

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, should have said tracking instead of kerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe -25.

I hope you're using Paragraph (and Character) Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes I have styles. I just need to fix ugly breaks and I didn't want to track the type too tight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-25 might be too much. I suggest you experiment, it depends on the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within the Justification tab of the Paragraph Styles dialog box are some options for Spacing that could prove useful.

capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you have highlighted the Tracking value, not the kerning value. Second, ignore tracking. Instead create a style for your body copy, then at least two styles based on that body copy style. One, called something like “Body Copy Tight” would have all the same settings except tighter rules for justification and perhaps hyphenation. “Body Copy Loose” would be similar, except have slight adjustments to the justification settings to make the text a little looser. Apply one or the other to paragraphs that need it to either suck a word or two out of the last line or push a word or two into the last line.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 5.10.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could manage widows and orphans with the "Keep Options"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (20).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lorraine:

Can you share an example of the "ugly breaks"? And please include the entire column width in the screen shot. InDesign has multiple tools for handling typography, but the best one will vary depending on the situation. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines