• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcut to move text to a new column in InDesign????

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do para return, shift par return but not move copy to new column. It'a driving me potty. Don't want text boxes full of returns, Do I need to make 3 text boxes for 3 columns rather than using a shortcut in one box????

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

The number pad Enter key inserts a column/frame break. If you don't have a num-pad Enter key, choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Type Menu > Insert Break Character: Column Break and assign a key combination...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number pad Enter key inserts a column/frame break. If you don't have a num-pad Enter key, choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Type Menu > Insert Break Character: Column Break and assign a key combination...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic - thanks a million.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost a year later, your tip is still paying off. Thanks lots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2016 and your answer is the gift that keeps on keeping on... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost four years later and it's helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 and you're still helping people (me) out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On many current short keyboard laptops (Windows) Fn Return no longer works. Which Shortcut combination is most widely used for a column break (so student/employees can use them consistenly in different settings/computers)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glory and praise to the design gods! THANK YOU FOR THIS ANSWER! Was driving me "potty" as well since I don't have a full keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to be daft, but if I have a frame that is 2 columns and I press the Num Enter key, it breaks to a new page, not to the other column. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What am I missing?

Well, you may be missing something, but it's hard to tell from here.

If you're not, then it's a malfunction, the kind that often clears up with a reset of preferences.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How this thing should work:

Numpad Enter breaks to next column (or next frame if there’s no next column in that frame, or next page if there’s no next frame on that same page)

Shift+Enter breaks to next frame

Ctrl+Enter breaks to next page

If you’re on a notebook with the main keyboard only (no numpad), try to include Fn key in a combination, using 'main' Enter/Return key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon! The text I did have in the 2nd column disappeared after hitting the #pad enter key while in column 1. Where did it go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is overset. Look at Edit > Edit in Story Editor. Also, you will see a red plus sign in the outport of the textframe (the lower-right corner)

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running CS6 and to my great frustration, I could not assign a shortcut key combination. I followed instrux up til the assign & then nothing I came up with would satisfy.

The Column Break window even gave "Delete" as the default...

I tried a variety of options, but NOTHING jumped the type to the next column. Any guesses, or suggestions for a key combination????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flushleft  wrote

The Column Break window even gave "Delete" as the default...

Sounds like corrupt preferences. Reset: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences then try again.

I hesitate to suggest a key combination, having no idea what program defaults you might or might not consider expendable. I tend to explore the Function keys (e.g., F8) with modifiers, perhaps just because I find them easy to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try- but exactly what kind of modifiers with the F keysI don't

really use these much anyway, so no problem there. Are modifiers letters?

Opt/Control/Shift etc?

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM John Mensinger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx. REplaced Prefs & it got rid of the 'Delete' under Default.

Tried using Fn key + Return, but without moving manually to the next

column, the next line doesn't jump.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:08 PM, John Mensinger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, why you need a custom key comb, when there is one already?

You don't have numpad, and what's about Fn key?

Did you try Fn+Return? It's documented as a workaround for those without numpad keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the Preferences and the 'Default delete' disappeared. One down.

But the Fn key + Return isn't a stand-alone single command to change columns. I still have to MOVE the carat to the next column....

I would so much appreciate ANY suggested keyboard shortcut, e.g., F8 with modifier [not sure what this might be]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda late to the party, but if you work on a short keyboard, column break is fn + return, frame break is fn + shift + return. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kinda late to the party, but if you work on a short keyboard, column break is fn + return, frame break is fn + shift + return. 

By @sjacob128

Unfortunately, not on a Dell laptop - Inspiron 7559 - or because I have a "full" keyboard?

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines