Highlighted

keyboard shortcuts not working CC 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For some time, however, before updating to the 2020 version, the keyboard shortcuts like "shift + D" to duplicate or "shift + drag" to scale an element proportionally or "option + space" to zoom in no longer work. I tried all the solutions found on the forum but they didn't give results: I restarted the application doing the preferences reset, I deleted the files of preferences and cache, I restarted the mac, I reset the pram, ... I work on macbook pro Mojave. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

keyboard shortcuts not working CC 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For some time, however, before updating to the 2020 version, the keyboard shortcuts like "shift + D" to duplicate or "shift + drag" to scale an element proportionally or "option + space" to zoom in no longer work. I tried all the solutions found on the forum but they didn't give results: I restarted the application doing the preferences reset, I deleted the files of preferences and cache, I restarted the mac, I reset the pram, ... I work on macbook pro Mojave. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug, EPUB, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 10, 2019 9
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing if you are using any tablet (like Wacom or Huion)?

If you do, please remove them and then try to work on InDesign. Let us know how it goes.

Also, We'd like to know if you are using third party applications (like web extensions).

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ALL Adobe employees, this issue with the shortcuts has nothing to do with "third party" applications. I don't have any tablets or anything hooked up to my Macbook. The ONLY thing that changed was updating my Adobe CC to the 2020 versions. Now any short cuts that use the "option" or space bar do not work. This goes for Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign!!! I've been using these programs for almost two decades and these shortcuts have become second nature to all of us. Please fix this ASAP!!! It's effecting my job. I'm sure many others are feeling the same thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 14
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I bought a new mac and I need to rettun it because Adobe shortcyts DO NOT WORK!!!!!!

it is insane! I lost 2 days of work and spent hours with Adobe on the phone.

I'm writing to the creatives here- wich other programs (non Adobe) are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 5
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: please look fully into this persistent problem, in collaboration
with Apple, and fix!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 3
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem, I don't have tablets or anything connected to my Macbook. The only thing that changed was updating my Adobe CC to the 2020 versions. The short cuts don´t working! It´s frustrating!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Suddenly changed today. Mac went to sleep for a couple of hours. Came back and my shortcuts no longer work. Extremely annoying and cause of loss of time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, i found it was Microsoft Excel interfering with the shortcuts. Had exactly same issue on new Macbook pro with new CC. No shortcuts were working, no hand panning possible with space bar etc etc. After quitting Excel, its back to normal. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 2
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and was running Microsoft Word in the background. After I quit Word the command and space bar functions returned. I aslo updated to Microsoft 365 from Office 365, so far the issue hasn't reoccured.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the thing is: many other programs seem to interfere - it is different each
time. Therefore the real problem is with Adobe/Mac, especially as this was
not a problem before recent updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 2
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me, was working fine on my 2020 Macbook Pro 13" yesterday, but NOT on my 2020 MBP 16" today. Latest updates of everything. This is crazy reading about this! 😮

(For me it seems to be only InDesign not functioning properly)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has done the trick for me. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mats5FA2 what has done the trick for you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I closed Excel everything went back to normal. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant believe it hasnt got fixed yet. It’s super annoying. My job has affected tremendously by this. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! I thought I was going crazy. It is driving me crazy. Is it possible that a keyboard has to be resinked? I am trying everything. This is a psin, it is slowing me down. Theses commands are second nature!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No third parties at all. I've used those shortcuts for 10 years, now those new weird shortcuts ruined my life and slowed down my working efficiency! Don’t know why did you change it, supper unnecessary and meaningless!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 4
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running 2020 versions for some time now. This is the second or third time short cuts just stop working, out of the blue, in at least both InDesign and Photoshop. 

Reading on this post, I remember that Chrome was once a problem: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/keyboard-shortcut-does-not-work-in-indesign-cc/td-p/9951792?... but that didn't help me know. On my Mac, I did force quit (using the Activiy Monitor) Sophos and Crashplan that we have by company policy - with the CC applications shut down. After restart, short cuts worked again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

July 2020 and we're still struggling with this. Can you fix it, please? I pay a lot for this software and consistency and reliability are key.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 4
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in September 2020 and am STILL having these issues!! Things work fine for a while, then suddenly everything goes wacky!!

PLEASE fix this issue!!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2020 4
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the same; suddenly my modifier keys aren't working - the command key and letters z and x.

I use an extra monitor and keyboard. All keys and modifiers are fine on the actual laptop, but not on the separate keyboard.

Also Ai crashes everytime the computer goes to sleep. I have to close any open files each time I go away from the laptop!

I am running a macbook pro 16" laptop, Catalina 10.15.6 

My illustrator/photoshop/indesign are up to date.

I've updated Suitcase Extensis (and updated those plugins for AI, Ps and ID) and Wacom.

I've removed the Acrobat extension from Chrome, that seemed to through everything out. I removed it straight after I added it. I've removed A security app from Chrome that it flagged up.

I've renamed the preferences files for illustrator and restarted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

I found the same issue after updating to InDesign 15.1.2 
The Spacebar-Handtool shortcut isn't working anymore – And like someone else said, this is really a second nature.

I use a MacBook Pro with a Wacom Intuos PT S. I have tried to work without it, but the problem persist. Closed all web browsers. Still the same problem.

I hope for a (really) quick solution.

Regards Remko

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy. I have a brand new macboook pro. My InDesign was working just fine last week and bam! This morning the option keys stopped working!! Just like all of you I am a power user, very reliant on these shortcuts. Unbelievable. I haven't done anything differently! 

I did find that occasionally I can trick the option keys into working by using them through their corresponding dropdown menus. So, for example, to open a doc, I cannot press option O but if I click "File" once and let the drop down menu open, then I can use the option O keys. Another time I opened the "Object" menu and typed option B just to try to open another submenu using option keys and then option O started working again! 

I'm not saying this is helpful to users but maybe the developers? Please fix this!

-Heidi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

Any updates to this? I have just updated to the latest In-Design 16.1.2 and 'Comman N' and 'Command O' do not work when In-Design launches and no document is open. No tablet's attached, though Wacom is installed. No Microsoft apps running. Running Mac OS 10.15.7

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, no peripherals, running MacBook Pro on 10.15.16. Cannot use command+n or command+o, and sometimes run into issues with other keyboard shortcuts within InDesign. Other Adobe programs do not seem to be affected.

This has been the issue for well over a year.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues after my 2020 InDesign update. Spacebar not working for the hand move tool. Anything with "option" not working either (option drag to duplicate). Anyone have a solution? MOST ANNOYING!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 15
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues on a Macbook Pro running Mojave. Not using a tablet, and the only third-party extensions I'm using is the newest Extensis Suitcase Fusion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christophe (and Cat and Nick):

Other applications can interfere with the modifier keys in InDesign. In addition to web extensions, anti-virus and anti-malware apps can be an issue. Webroot is mentioned most often.

Try closing all applications and restarting your computer. Only open InDesign. Does Shift work correctly again? If not, take a look at the applications that auto-load when you boot your computer. Once you know this is happening, it is usually easy to ID the culprit.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default text tool shortcut (T) has not worked for a number of years and versions, even when other shortcuts work fine. Adobe doesn't appear to have addressed it, even thought it has been brought to their attention several times. It happens on all 5 of my computers, PC and Mac, and one of them has no extra software at all to be causing interference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I'd recommend resetting preferences. If it does not help and you are sure that no other app is interfering with it, contact Adobe live support on  https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html , click on chat icon at bottom right corner to begin conversation with the support team. You may also use https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html for Phone support. They'll be able to perform remote troubleshooting and help you accordingly. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should — stop blaming other programs. Just — fix the bug! If illustrator has no problem at the same time when InDesign becomes absolutely useless (with broken option and shift key) then there is no excuse to blaming on other programs. It is clearly an Indesign problem. Stop keep tell your paid user to find walk around, relaunch and reboot every time the stupid bug appear. Fix you — Adobe!!!

[This is a public forum. Profanity removed.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 8
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Using a Macbook Pro, OS 10.15.3 and v. 15.0. 2 of Indesign. 

I can't use the Option key to drag an object and make a copy - it's maddening. And there are problems with character and text styles - I have to change styles manually.  What can I do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening on my computer, I have a Macbook Pro 10.15.3 and v. 15.0.1 of InDesign. Option + drag to duplicate doesn't work, CMD + Spacebar to activate Zoom tool doesn't work either 😕 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I was helped by Adobe who uninstalled Malwarebytes from my computer -
then the problem was fixed, although I notice other little glitches with
Indesign, with paragraph and character styles. but at least Option and drag
to duplicate works. I then installed an updated free ersion of Malwarebytes
online and it seems ok. Maybe try uninstalling Malwarebytes and see if that
works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have malwarebytes on my computers, so that's not the factor. Thanks, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have malwarebytes either and have never had. My computer is 3 months old and it was working on the older version of InDesign

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe mentioned other software too, but I've forgotten what it was since I
didn't have it. It would be worth contacting them directly - there is some
serious problem and the more they hear about it...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated InDesign to 15.0.2 and these functions started workin again for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on InDesign 15.1.1 and having issues. Type Tool (T) is having problems, I'm sure others are as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0