Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard shortcuts not working CC 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For some time, however, before updating to the 2020 version, the keyboard shortcuts like "shift + D" to duplicate or "shift + drag" to scale an element proportionally or "option + space" to zoom in no longer work. I tried all the solutions found on the forum but they didn't give results: I restarted the application doing the preferences reset, I deleted the files of preferences and cache, I restarted the mac, I reset the pram, ... I work on macbook pro Mojave. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 149 Replies 149
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup still doing this for me today, a long while after it was first flagged. Excel and Word are the issues. Lame response from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tossing in the looong thread here.

I had the key-commands-not-working thing with InDesign 16.0 (2021) on my MB Pro (2016).

Reading earlier in this thread I saw suggestions of quitting other programs. I run a pretty stripped system, don't use Microsoft products (none installed), and wondered what was up.

I just had a failure of command-p (Print) key command, so I looked at what was open. Other than Chrome, the Apple Notes app was open. I quit it, and command-p worked again! WTAF? Launched Notes again, and command-p continued to work.

This is a bizarre mystery.

BG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed 2021. Still same problem in this version. Opening and closing the keyboard shortcuts dialogue box makes the shortcuts work again, until I quit and reopen ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going crazy with this issue. No command spacebar zoom (and don' tell me I have to use command + nor or letter Z, does not work the same) Shift drag does not contrain shift, I can't option drag anything to duplicate. My work flow is extremely impared by this. I have spent countless hours on tech support with useless technicians. Rebooted several time, UNINSTALLED all adobe products and REINSTALLED, loosing my custom settings. Zapped the pram and all the other zaps. Uninstalled anything remotely 3rd party -- old wacom had been deleted a long time ago because it conflicted with the apple mouse. I need this fixed asap. Apple and Adobe, you all need to put your heads together and figure this out. You need each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue DECEMBER 2020!!!! What are we paying for???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this same issue a few days back. Did all things possible (excluding throwing away my laptop) cos it can get really frustrating. Funny thing, i restarted my computer and violla! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December 2020, and still having the same issues here with shortcuts not working. 
Works fine when closing other applications... which I also need to work with in parallel to InDesign!
It is very annoying, it really interferes with work, makes things very, very slow and inefficient. 
Adobe... what are you doing to fix this, honestly!? It has been over a year of this thread... are there still no real solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE - this is ridiculous and unnecessary, FIX these standard shortcuts - this is slowing down work flow and consistency in work.... terrible - get your act together!  It is DEC 2020 - for Christmas I want the tried and true standard shortcuts BACK and functioning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly might not be an indesign issue. Could be a mac issue.

It could  be indesign. Try resetting your preferences.

Or look up the CC Cleaner tool.

Certainly no probs my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a conflict with Microsoft Apps and Adobe shortcuts. I lose certain shortcuts when I have an MS app open first - like Teams. Once I quit everything and reopen ID it's fine.

If I disable the auto launch of Teams and open ID first, its fine.

But if there is any Microsoft application open before I launch an Adobe product its broke.

I've read on other forums this isn't an Adobe/Mac/Windows issue - it's MS being too aggressive with their permissions and control of the keyboard shortcuts. It's blocking all other apps - not just Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same irritating issue out of the blue (on mac os)...did the following steps by chance to attempt to fix the annoyance.

1. Created a new user (admin) account

2. laughed illustrator2020 checked to zoom/pan tool which was fine. (the idea was to replace specific newly created adobe files from the new user account’s Library to my standard account)

3. Went back to my standard account straight to Indesign, created a file with imported ,psd files,..

exported to Acrobat... and checked the .pdf file > used the +/- zoom and hand tool from

the top bar in the Acrobat app ( all Adobe apps mentioned had the same issue) > closed the file>went back to

Illustrator and surprise ... zoom and pan functions were back to normal, checked the other apps and yes everything is back to normal.

-So somme random actions within the Adobe eco system fixed the issue...permanently I hope! I guess the issue comes from Acrobat...maybe just opening a file and using the hand tool and the zoom tools from the top menu bar within that app is enough for the fix.

-Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the exact same issue.  Its as if the keyboard shortcuts have been overruled. The only way to get them back is to use a mouse click command, which defeats the point.  I've been using Phtoshop for over twenty years as well and I have never seen this, but this issue exists for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a Microsoft product running? They are overtaking all other apps keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for responding!  I have Outlook 365, Teams, OneNote, etc.  I'm using Windows 10, so almost the entire PC is a Microsoft product.  Is their a specific MS product that disables Photoshop CC keyboard shortcuts that we should be aware of?  I can then post on the Microsoft forums as well. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its already posted on the MS forums - its app based. So if you open Teams, Word, Excel, etc before an Adobe product - MS hijacks a ton of shortcuts. I can't even get Cmd/Ctrl+N to open a new doc.

The solution is open Adobe first, then MS and its ok.

It's like playground rules - me first!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely. You can launch ID first but still don't have access to cmd-n or any other shortcut. In some cases it could be worth to check the shortcuts in Systemprefs. You can toggle some shortcuts on and off or delete them. I once had an issue with Keynote. Assigned a shortcut in there for Keynote that fixed my problem.

However, given the fact that Adobe never really had issues with shortcuts before and given the amount of money we have to shell over for rentware one could expect decent working shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that it doesn't necessarily matter if there are Microsoft apps running. (Also, I'm running on a Windows PC.) The main shortcut that ailes me is Ctrl + M (drop shadow/other effects)—no matter what other apps (or not) are open. There could be others that don't work that I'm not aware of, but that's the one I use constantly, and it is frustrating to have to right click and scroll down to find the menu item (which conveniently tells you what the keyboard shortcut is that doesn't work) over several seconds when I used to hit a few buttons and be done in less than one second. 

I'll second @motiondude on his latter sentiment of "for the amount of money shelled out for this," basic default shortcuts should work. Upgraded software should get better over time, not lose basic good features that were already there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for this tip.  I will post to our team and see if starting CC and any Adobe software prior to starting any Windows Software works.  Appreciate the support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

With respect this is such lazy advice. It has nothing to do with Microsoft. A cursory glance at many of the other posts confirms that. My shortcuts stop working randomly. They work again after a restart but then stop again randomly. I've always had Microsoft and Adobe apps running at the same time, EVERYONE has. This is an Adobe issue. Can someone please fix!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to my post - I haven't updated my Microsoft apps (and don't have auto-update switch on) for a very long time. The only software that has updated is Adobe, ergo, its an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Its not lazy advice - it's personal experience. I have had an entire department of over 100 people affected by this and we found out with our IT department it was Word and Excel hijacking the keyboard shortcuts on Adobe products and also our email app.

Thanks for the polite response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any answer from Adobe at all? Countless people are having this program which we pay a MEMBERSHIP fee which keeps funds fluid at Adobe. What's the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about your frustration - most people are users like yourself - myself included, we are all just users.

The forums is a user-user forum with Adobe employees only logging in from time to time. 

Best way to get your view to Adobe on a monitored platform is using https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but if you offer this it would seem important to see what users are posting, don't you agree? I will look into your link, thanks for the fast reply. 

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the link provided, typed in the same question. No response from Adobe on exactly the same problem. Can we please get a follow-up on this. There's enough people posting without any comment from those that should be monitoring and patching at a Adobe that we pay a high price specifically to perform work functions.

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines