Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lao Language Display Issue

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I am trying to flow in Lao to a document for a translation. 
The language has been changed to Lao (Laos) and i have tried numerous fonts, however it doesn't render the characters correctly.

I can copy and paste from word into InDesign, and it displays wrong, and I can copy from InDesign back to word and it displays correctly.

Any ideas what can solve this issue?

Many thanks

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Hello. Sabaidi. ສະບາຍດີ.

Most likely this is a font problem:

• OpenType/Unicode fonts were not used in Word and/or in InDesign. Check your Lao fonts; are they Unicode versions? (Unicode is the standard character set used worldwide. It allows us to retain the characters as the text moves from one program to another, from one browser to another, etc.)
  • If necessary, change the fonts to a Unicode version of Lao. There aren't very many available (lots of old TrueType versions that are not Unicode) so be c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello. Sabaidi. ສະບາຍດີ.

Most likely this is a font problem:

• OpenType/Unicode fonts were not used in Word and/or in InDesign. Check your Lao fonts; are they Unicode versions? (Unicode is the standard character set used worldwide. It allows us to retain the characters as the text moves from one program to another, from one browser to another, etc.)
  • If necessary, change the fonts to a Unicode version of Lao. There aren't very many available (lots of old TrueType versions that are not Unicode) so be careful. Look for fonts that specifically say they are Unicode or OpenType (FYI, OpenType is a form of Unicode). Here's one website, but check carefully and use only those labeled as Unicode: http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Lao.html    Lao UI by Microsoft is available at https://www.fonts.com/font/microsoft-corporation/lao-ui 
  • Don't copy/paste into InDesign because you'll lose some of the behind-the-scenes coding of the Lao glyphs. Instead, use InDesign's File / Place command and check the box for Import Options to control how the text is imported into your layout.

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines