Hello, I'm working in a 500+ page InDesign CC 2021 book document that keeps crashing ID when I'm trying to reveal the contents of an overset text box at the end of the doc. This file's history is that it was completely rebuilt from scratch with text and graphics pasted from a previous ID file I inherited from someone else that also had crashing/corruption issues—thus the reason for my rebuild. Now that I'm almost done rebuilding many hundreds of pages, I'm experiencing these problems again, but I don't know why, and if the issue is with the content I've had to paste in from the previous problem doc. But this is nerve-wracking, as we're fast approaching the book's deadline.
I'm working on a 2021 MacBook Pro with Big Sur, 11.2.3. InDesign 2021 is up to date, I've reset ID preferences several times, and I've restarted my computer. I'd super-appreciate any help!! Thank you so much in advance!
@Miaelb See if this file I copied from yours works for you. It's not crashing for me but it does have some problems. You have a bad URL where the text was ending on page 505 after the text in pink "Linda please add." So check that URL. I had to delete it to correct the text flow to place the rest of the text on the following pages in the overflow boxes. I removed all the extra pages after the text ended and there is no more overset text but there may be content that is missing. Also, a spread on pages 550/551 that has two headshot photos were off the artboard and linked in a strange way and acting funny so you'll need to delete and place those again. Finally, I noticed a chapter heading was misapplied for Chapter 21 and causing the text flow to bunch up there, so that needs to be fixed. I suggest you try to duplicate these steps in a copy of your complete document file first as I may have made changes that removed or shifted some of your work. But I think these areas are where you need to start to try to clear that overset text. I notice a lot of small issues with this file and how settings have been applied but the main thing is to get you a working copy that doesn't crash your system! I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be available again later tonight and tomorrow.
Whoops - attached the wrong version. It's this one JLTestFile2. I meant to mention that the last page is now where the Index starts (page title, no Index) if that is where your original book was supposed to end.
Hello again, Jain,
I just returned from dinner to find your message and your attached file. I'm beyond amazed—and more grateful than you can imagine—that you were able to rescue this file!! I'm aware of the formatting issues you mentioned, but the thing I'm wondering is how you were able to access the overset text in the first place. You mentioned deleting the URL to correct the text flow, but I could not figure out how to delete or even access anything to GET TO the overset text without the whole file crashing. I could click on the red square to click into a new text box, but anytime I tried to manipulate that red square otherwise (copy, paste, or even move the cursor forward in an attempt to select "invisible" lines to try to choose something to delete and make that overset text appear), that would trigger an immediate crash. It sounds like it just "worked" for you. I know it's a big question, but do you have any idea what could be causing this? The scary thing is that when I'd reopen the file, it said it could be corrupted or damaged. Since this is the second session of this happening in the book (and the first after the rebuild), I'm really concerned it could repeat again and if there's anything I can do to prevent this. Again, thank you immensely—you really saved my butt here and I'm sending you a big virtual hug!!
It's a good idea to break large documents into smaller parts and use the Book feature to combine them.
@Miaelb I'm so glad I was able to help get this file working for you and your virtual hug is received, thank you!
I've had overset text boxes do this to me before, not to where they crashed the program but to where I couldn't flow the rest of the type to another page. That's what was happening in your file but it didn't crash the program on me when I went to fix it. There are several things that could be the cause, including your local system, installation of InDesign, preference settings, and so on but sometimes these things just happen. I always make backup copies at each step of trying to fix something and work on the new file to try the next fix, such as clearing out or deleting all the blank pages past the last point of text and then seeing if the overset text will place correctly on new blank pages. I also used View > Show Structure to see there were a lot of tables at the end that weren't loading. Large, complex files like this can have problems, especially if content is cut-and-pasted instead of mapped. Setting up as a Book instead of a Document can be helpful, especially if other people need to work on secions of the project simultaneously, but I have worked on large books like this in one document without any problems. Sometimes, there is nothing to prevent what happens other than working to keep your file as clean and efficient as possible by removing unused styles, fonts, masters, swatches, and other imported artifacts. Make sure the preflight light is always on green once you get all text loaded. Also, make sure image files are in one folder and preferably in the same folder as the .indd files. You also want hyperlinks organized, named, and working correctly; delete any unused destinations and search through the panel for conflicts keeping the lights all green.
Now that the pages are all laid out, I think this file will be fine as you continue to make refinements. But keep saving backup copies at important stages and should any more problems arise, let us know. Enjoy!