Highlighted

Latest InDesign update causes crash when spellchecking previous text boxes

Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a warning to anyone - it seems that the latest InDesign update has caused this issue for me:

If I run a spellchecker on any document that had text boxes created BEFORE the update, then InDesign completely disappears/crashes.

If I copy the same text out to and paste it into a brand new document. The spellchecker works fine.

I've tested this across 5 different files and it's occurring on all of them.

Does anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Latest InDesign update causes crash when spellchecking previous text boxes

Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a warning to anyone - it seems that the latest InDesign update has caused this issue for me:

If I run a spellchecker on any document that had text boxes created BEFORE the update, then InDesign completely disappears/crashes.

If I copy the same text out to and paste it into a brand new document. The spellchecker works fine.

I've tested this across 5 different files and it's occurring on all of them.

Does anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Could you please confirm which OS and version of InDesign is this? Will it be possible for you to share a sample file to test? If yes, you can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to send you a link via messaging your profile in this forum, did you get it?

if not, what is your email address?

My oS:

auxiliaryjoel_0-1598398915454.png

my InDesign:

auxiliaryjoel_1-1598398932720.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received your DM, however, couldn't open the file. Getting error "Internal Server Error". Is the link working for you? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm yet another Adobe product letting me down. I will use dropbox instead and send it to you that way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just sent you a dropbox link instead. Let me know if you receive it OK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you receive the dropbox link I PM'd you on the 30th August?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you unmark this as being the correct answer, as the problem still persists and this is not the answer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel:

Two ideas to consider while you are waiting for a response from Adobe:

1. Revert back to 15.1.1 until this is resolved. You can do so using the Creative Cloud Desktop app:
    Apps > All Apps > InDesign > ...  > Other Versions > InDesign 15.1.1 > Install or
  2. Rebuild cache/preferences:
    https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the delay. I tried with your file as well as a couple of other old files on both Windows and Mac Machine but I was unable to replicate this behavior. They worked fine at my end.

Could you please share a small recording of the workflow? Also, please submit the crash report by following these steps.

You may also try resetting InDesign preferences as suggested by Barb. Steps are shared below:

• Close all adobe applications
  • Go to Locations:
  • ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Preferences
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old
  • Launch InDesign from the CC

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have tried all these steps but still no luck, I am getting more random files some new some old that are causing InDesign to completely disappear during spellchecker.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All these steps have produced no luck.

here is crash report error: https://pastebin.com/nbnCeaF5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0