Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Leading in indesign

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am currently trying to find a way where I can change the spacing within lines (leading) and for it to a subtle change. I have it set to 12 and if I change it to 11 and all of the letters are touching, I have it at 12 and it looks like a whole letter spacing between each line. Is there a way to reduce the leading without having such a huge jump?

thanks

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Leading is defined as the distance between the texts’ baselines (not the white space between the lines). So as @jmlevy suggests, if you have Align to Baseline Grid turned on, the text will snap to the set baseline grid and ignore the Leading amount:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example – 12pt on 14pt equals 2pt leading.

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 22.03.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to be more precise on the leading? It looks like the font size can impact it too, but for the purposes of the document, the font needs to be big.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font size, and font design, can absolutely affect leading effects.

You can also enter leading values as small as .01pt to fine tune leading values as you need it.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your text is aligned on the baseline grid. Can you post a screenshot showing your text and the baseline grid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leading is defined as the distance between the texts’ baselines (not the white space between the lines). So as @jmlevy suggests, if you have Align to Baseline Grid turned on, the text will snap to the set baseline grid and ignore the Leading amount:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for the responses guys, what Rob mentioned was right, I was able to find the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines