I have created a template for our proposal team to use as a standard. However, when some users open the file, the text shifts down out of the text box because there is extra spacing above the first line of text. For some of us, the text fits closely to the top of the text frame and appears as it should
I don't have the same issue on my computer, and haven't been able to recreate the issue and thereby trouble shoot it to the full extent.
A team member and I have both deleted our preferences to restore the default settings, so we should be starting from the same place.
What setting could I be missing to have it appear the same on both computers?
How it looks correct on my screen: Notice the text line starting with S-1436 is at the top of the text frame.
How it looks on other screens: Notice the extra space above the line starting with S-1436.
I double checked with one of the users and comfirmed the font is active in Cleative Cloud.
No, I made sure that I created a new Paragraph Style for each of the text boxes so that it would not default to the Basic Paragraph style.
Are the paragraph styles based on [Basic Paragraph] or based on [No Paragraph Style]?
They are all set to No Paragraph Style.
Are you absolutely sure that all the users use exactly the same font version?
Edit: as you may know, Source Sans is also available on Google Fonts or other sites. You should check on your colleages computer which version is activated.
ah, Source Sans Pro again.
I'd suggest you inspect the used font in your working sample InDesign document and check the exact version number of the font. The whole Adobe Source families are in constant development. There are 28 versions of the font that differ in various points, added and changed glyphs, maybe also in the value where the baseline is positioned?
To check the version go to Type > Find Font…
Select the used font and open the More Info… section of the panel.
There you should see the install path and the exact version of the font.
You may find differences in the other documents that do not work as expected.
Also see into this discussion we had recently:
Font missing; TT OTP font-versions appearing, and reinstall font conflict
Also this if you want to go away from the Adobe Fonts Service providing Source Sans Pro and use real font files:
( ACP )
It looks like this could be the issue. I have opened several older documents on my computer and I was finally able to see the issue for myself (previously I could only see the problem on other user's computers).
Depending on the document, my Source Sans Pro shows versions 2.045 or 3.006. How do I ensure that all of my documents are using the latest version of Source Sans Pro?
Also, under the font version it says (Create with Version - #####). Is there a way to update that when you open an older file so that it always has the latest font version once the file is re-saved?
Again, my Source Sans Pro is activated through Creative Cloud and there isn't a local version on my computer.
Since my company does not use Adobe fonts service, I do not know why you can use different versions of the same font in different documents, all the more the font is not installed locally. Why don't you download it from Google fonts, check all the computers to check the versions, and (re)install it on all the computers?
Eric said: "Depending on the document, my Source Sans Pro shows versions 2.045 or 3.006. How do I ensure that all of my documents are using the latest version of Source Sans Pro?"
I don't think the solution comes with always using the latest version of Source Sans Pro.
Once you decided on a particular version you should stick with that version. With all of your documents. All of the time.
You can download a particular version of the font files from:
Always use that particular version. Never activate Source Sans Pro from the Adobe Fonts Service.
If you see different versions activated from Adobe Fonts in various documents: That means Adobe has changed the available version of Source Sans Pro at Adobe Fonts some time ago. Maybe that contributed to your issues.
( ACP )
I have downloaded the font family from Google and I will report back if this corrects the problem. Thanks for all of the help so far.