• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link Info missing in Links panel in InDesign

Explorer ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Indesign doc open. When I click on an image in the layout that image should be highlighted in the links panel and details appear in the link info panel below. Now it doesn't. If i close Indesign sometimes when i re-open it works.

Could somebody please tell me how to have the link info panel active when i click on images in Indesign doc

Regards

Carl

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Steve's suggestion to restore preferences doesn't work, you might want to try trashing your InDesign cache files. This can help with problems within panels.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s cache files are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N).With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire folder “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the InDesign cache folder completely leads to a lasting change. 

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To clarify (because you didn’t say), how are you bringing your images into InDesign?

Are you using File > Place or drag and drop from Bridge/Mac Finder/Windows File Explorer? If you are using copy and paste instead, that is one reason they would not show up in the Links panel.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane brings up an important point. I was assuming that you used the File > Place command which is always the preferred way (rather than copy/paste) which embeds the file and doesn't appear in the Links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. I bring my images in to indesign using shortcut Command D which is File place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering quickly — we have to rule out the easy answers first. Try what Steve and Bill said.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know where I can find more info about the copy and paste function from Photoshop into InDesign.

i.e. if a designer gave me a file with an image copied and pasted into it.....how do I know the resolution, rgb/cmyk settings, etc.

~cralin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Jane. First person to point out this aggravating circumstance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, Links panel doesn't show any information about the linked images. I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists. In case you are still facing the same issue kindly share a few more details like:

• OS (Exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • Version of InDesign
  • Screenshots of Links panel
  • Where the linked images are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • Is it happening with a particular file/ linked image?

Feel free to update the discussion if you need any further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to all the above. I'm using current 2019 cloud version for MAC. The links info panel randomly shows full details then nothing. The only way to get info panel back working is to shut down Indesign. There is nothing in preferences that is specific to the links panel settings, so the problem still has not been resolved

Carl Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issues with panels and application interface are generally related to corrupt preferences. If you have not tried resetting preferences, please try the steps shared here: How to set preferences in Illustrator

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

If that doesn't help, log in to root account (How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support ) and let us know how it works there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in preferences that is specific to the links panel settings, so the problem still has not been resolved

Did you try Bill’s #2? It's the Caches that usually cause UI corruptions.

/Users/usrname/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version X.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple solution - right click on a link in the link panel opens a dialog box with an option "show / hide link information pane".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! All these answers to clear cache and restore preferences and Ka3 answered with the perfect, easy solution! Command click on the link totally brings up the link info panel. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cralin,

if image data is pasted to an InDesign document you could try to convert that data to linked image files.

For that you need a script like Peter Kahrel's dump_pasted_images.jsx ExtendScript (JavaScript) script:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/unembed_images.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe,

Exactly the answer I needed.

I did go ahead and try to run the script. It said, "This file is not executable by any supported script language." 

Also requested the original files from the designer.

Thanks for your help!

cralin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cralin,

tested Peter Kahrel's script dump_pasted_images.jsx with InDesign 2020 on Windows on a small sample on pasted image data from PhotoShop. No issues found.

Can you show a screenshot of the error message?

Could it be that you saved the script code with formatted text perhaps?

Try again with "Text Only" mode from your text editor. Also necessary: File must have a *.jsx suffix.

When you are on Mac OS X there is maybe a better solution using an AppleScript by Rob Day that saves to PDF from the clipboard, I think. Have no link to that script, but maybe Rob is chiming in.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the compiled AppleScript Uwe mentioned:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/LinkPasted.zip

OSX’s clipboard format is usually PDF, so the AppleScript can get the original content of the pasted item, which I don’t think Peter’s JS is doing. Also on OSX preflight works on pasted objects, so preflight could tell you if there are resolution or color problems with the pasted object.

Here is the annotated AS code:

(* 
Rob Day 2012-2018 
extracts pasted or embedded images and vectors from an ID layout as PDF and links to the PDF.
The PDF link has complete res and color info
*)

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2018"
	--make sure the clipboard pref is copy PDF
	set MyClipPref to copy PDF to clipboard of clipboard preferences
	set copy PDF to clipboard of clipboard preferences to true

--where to copy embedded files
	set myFolder to (choose folder with prompt "Please select the folder you want to save your PDF pages in") as string
	set myDocument to active document

--get all of the doc's page items
	set pitems to all page items of every page item of myDocument

--empty path and image name lists for linking later
	set imagePaths to {}
	set copiedimages to {}

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in pitems

-- a placed item is item 1 of the page item, try skips everything else
		try
			set myPic to item 1 of item i of pitems

--the placed file's item link, pasted files return nothing
			set x to item link of myPic

--check for pasted or embedded files, 
			if x is nothing or status of x is link embedded then

--select the placed for copying
				select myPic

--the the link id to use as a name
				set myname to id of myPic

--the scale
				set hs to horizontal scale of myPic
				set vs to vertical scale of myPic

--temporarily set the scale to 100% so the copy is the original actual resolution
				set horizontal scale of myPic to 100
				set vertical scale of myPic to 100

--copy and reset the scale
				copy
				set horizontal scale of myPic to hs
				set vertical scale of myPic to vs

--save the clipboard as a PDF
				tell application "Finder"
					my saveImage(myFolder, myname)
				end tell

--save the paths and images as lists for linking
				set end of imagePaths to myFolder & myname & ".pdf"
				set end of copiedimages to myPic
			end if
		end try
	end repeat

--link the saved files
	repeat with j from 1 to number of items in imagePaths
		set itemlink to item j of imagePaths
		place alias itemlink on item j of copiedimages
	end repeat

--reset preference
	set copy PDF to clipboard of clipboard preferences to MyClipPref
end tell

-------------------------------Functions----------------------------------

--writes clipboard to disk
--save folder, image name
on saveImage(theFolder, filename)
	--the save path
	set myPath to theFolder & filename & ".pdf"
	try
		set myFile to (open for access myPath with write permission)
		set eof myFile to 0
		write (the clipboard as «class PDF ») to myFile -- as whatever
		close access myFile
		return (POSIX path of myPath)
	on error
		try
			close access myFile
		end try
		return ""
	end try
end saveImage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac. Haven't actually tried the Apple Script. I set up my preflight settings to flag anything not CMYK or 300 dpi. In my situation, this is the most important factor. Thanks for the help.

Cralin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Day said:

…OSX’s clipboard format is usually PDF, so the AppleScript can get the original content of the pasted item, which I don’t think Peter’s JS is doing.…

Exactly. With Peter's ExtendScript solution you have to set color model, resolution and file type for export.

Unfortunately PDF is not available where one could export the image data to e.g. PDF/X-4 without any restriction on color model and resolution plus transparency. So in case you have to use an ExtendScript solution and rely on Peter's script best bet is to use EPS as file type, I think. That would reserve vector data from pasted WMFs for example.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this ? It is highly frustrating. Going to panel options and toggling the information to display in the Link Info section is not working to bring back the info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi andsampson,

what is your issue exactly?

Are there pixel based graphics that were pasted to your layout?

Or did you once placed and linked a graphic where now the Links panel is showing nothing?

That could be a flaw with InDesign's preferences or caches.

What's your version of InDesign and operating system?
What are your machine specs?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My actual issue is that image data copied and pasted into InDesign doesn't show up in the links palette.

My solve was to look for these potential problems by setting my preflight preferences to watch for any images that are not CMYK and not 300 dpi. 

My post was only to try to explain how I resolved the problem for my situation. Sorry if I miscommunicated.

I'm using InDesign 2021 16.2.1 Mac Pro (Late 2013) macOS Catalina.

Thanks,

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, 

Thanks for the answer ! 

I am running INDD 16.0.1 on a 13 inch MBP from 2018, 2,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS Big Sur, 11.2.3 (20D91). 

The Links Panel intermittedly does not display the link info. I toggle the panel Link Info Options on and off to no success, and restarting InDesign also doesn't do the trick. So far it is just luck it seems when I can see it and when not. 

Odd. 

Cheers, 

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines