• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked illustrator vector graphics look blurry as sh*t with the Publish Online function

Engaged ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it when an an indesign document is shared for review, all linked illustrator or creative cloud linked vectors are preserved as vectors, but the moment you publish the document online those assets are converted to low-resolution raster graphics? Even the "high resoltuion" option of 144 PPI with JPG set to maximum makes the the vectors look tragically aweful.

Anybody else notice this joke of a development? I expect better.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

Publish Online is working that way from day one. Nothing channged over the years.

I think most of the users of that feature know this:

With the exception of editable text ( that is converted to vector SVG outlines ) all other elements on a page, placed PDFs or AI graphics included, also native InDesign graphic frames, are rendered to pixel images.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're expecting too much from this. The purpose of this platform is to share documents that will be viewed on screen devices. There are some online-publishing platforms may have the option to view on screen (rasterized) or to download a full pdf, some not. As for Publish Online, if there are specfic detailed graphics being rendered unreadable, you can trick it to render higher, but on an object-to-object basis. There's a good article on creativepro about this if you search it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the same settings you mentioned, my quality is very good. (Normally, I would use PNG.)

Below is an example of an AI and EPS file. I put a screen capture in the lower right so you can see what they looked like in InDesign. 

Here is the link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/c14a0915-82d6-475d-b905-4bf9a869e878

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had any problem with Illustrator files, they usually look really sharp in Publish Online. Can you post an indd file with the problem images? p.s. no reason to use EPS, just .ai file format is fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't use EPS file normally, but I wanted to show that it wasn't an issue with vector formats, not just AI files. 

(Yes, I know that EPS can also be raster, but my example wasn't.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines