• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking text boxes

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am self taught and cannot find an example or solution for the following.. I am creating a family tree chart over a multitude of pages. Each couple has their own text box. Because I am resricting the charts to A4 pages the charts spread over many pages and so I want to iundicate where each leg of the tree continues on  and it is rarely the next page. Is there a way of doing this so that if I insert a page down the track the presentation automatically adjusts? I have attached a copy of page B81 showing what I currently have. In this case all the links are back to the same page but this is not always the case.  If I insert a page between these two I have to work though the whole doc changing the affected page numbers on the charts. Curreently this is many 100s of pages for some families!Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 7.28.50 am.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be able to use what they call in the newspaper game a "jump line." That's the thing at the end of a column which isn't the end of the story that reads something like "See Warehouse Fire-p7," and then on page 7, you might see something like "Warehouse Fire cont. from p3."

To do this in InDesign, you use Type>Insert Special Characters>Markers>Next Page Number. In this screen shot, I'm showing a text thread that jumps around between pages 2 & 3:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.20.57 PM.png

The large 2 on the left page is a text frame that has such a character in it. Because it's just sitting in a blank part of the page, it shows the page it's on, which is page 2. If I move it over to a blank part of page 3, it displays a 3.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.21.10 PM.png

But if I place it where it's contacting a threaded text frame, it will show which page the next text frame in the chain is located. In this case, the next one is on page 3.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.21.19 PM.png

And if I move the same text frame on top of one that threads back to page 2, it displays a 2.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 5.21.28 PM.png

You can put any descriptive text in the text frame along with the Next Page special character, so have a go with this and see if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thx for all the effort you put into this reply. It is appreciated. I have used this before and indeed am using this in the current project where a text box flows over a page but this time there is just one problem! The text boxes I am using in this example are not linked and that is what I am trying to resolve. I realise there may be no way to address the matter but thought I would see if someone could come up with a solution. I thought of tyring to do a similar thing with the page links in my example but just cannot work it out. If you look at my example, in the green circles there is text and I have been trying to work out if that could be the way to make the link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines