• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking text with image location

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a long manuscript in InDesign which has many photographs. I have a "photograph credit" page which gives credit to the owners/photographers of each photograph in the manucript. An example credit might look like this: "The photograph on page 25 is courtesy of Nathaniel Anderson (nathanielanderson.com)". 

I would like to set up this credit page now since I have all the pictures. However I will be changing the order in which the pictures appear in the book over the next few months, so the page number on which they appear now will also change. Since I wish to set up the credit page for the pictures now, but the page numbers of the pictures will change, my question is: is there any way to link text (in this case "page 25") to a picture in InDesign, so that when I move page 25 to page 13, the text will automatically update to say "page 13"? 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Scripting , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Simplistically:

After having imported all the images, select them in the "Links" panel and create a "static" caption for all (e.g. based on file name).

Then, on the creadit page:

"Credits:

The photograph on page … is courtesy of Nathaniel Anderson (nathanielanderson.com)

The photograph on page … is courtesy of John Doe (johndoe.com)

…"

Select each "…" (in red here) and replace it by inserting a "cross-reference" [ format: <pageNum /> ] selecting the right para using the para style defined for the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simplistically:

After having imported all the images, select them in the "Links" panel and create a "static" caption for all (e.g. based on file name).

Then, on the creadit page:

"Credits:

The photograph on page … is courtesy of Nathaniel Anderson (nathanielanderson.com)

The photograph on page … is courtesy of John Doe (johndoe.com)

…"

Select each "…" (in red here) and replace it by inserting a "cross-reference" [ format: <pageNum /> ] selecting the right para using the para style defined for the captions (eventually making them "invisible"!).

That's all!  ðŸ˜‰

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response, Jedi. Although I can generate a static caption for an image, I am confused about your further instructions. Would you be willing to capture a video briefly showing how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines