• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LINKS LOST WITHOUT ANY WARNING

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randomly when I open my indd files, I see the links in grey without finding any warning/problem in the links folder.

If I change the view (typical view) then I can see the images but I can't export pdf and make package! 

Important notes:

1. I'm using InDesign 15.02, macOs Catalina
  2. these issues regard Indd files in package, created with the same version of InDesign
  3. if I share the package with other users they can perfectly open, use, export e make other package of the same file.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Well then it's probably an issue with InDesign - try the CC Cleaner Tool 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing to: View > Display Performance > High Quality Display

If you change it without any document open and you close and reopen InDesign the setting will be permanent (till you want to change it again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Derek, thanks for your feedback;

I already set the high quality display without any doc open, unfortunately nothing changes.

The main problem is not the view but the fact that the links are apparently ok but are actually missing (no export/no package). You can see below what I can see (not only the typical grey box but also black and blurred ones).

Schermata 2020-03-26 alle 11.06.38.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought:

– Have you moved the location of these images?

– Can you open these images successfully in other applications, such as Word?

– Have you tried unticking, in InDesign preferences, GPU Performance?

– Had your graphics card etc checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

let me answer by points:

– Have you moved the location of these images? No, all the images are in the links folder, I also tried to move them in the same folder of the indd file (no changes) and, as a last try, I also tried to remove the images and put back again (no changes). 

– Can you open these images successfully in other applications, such as Word? All the images are verified (*jpeg or *tiff) 

– Have you tried unticking, in InDesign preferences, GPU Performance? I tried now, no changes

– Had your graphics card etc checked? Yes

PS a solution that I found now is to select the images in the LINK folder and use RELINK TO FOLDER: in this way, even if in the LINK FOLDER nothing changes visually, I can export and make package. The only issue it comes if the project has images from different folders (for example: a catalogue layout before the final version). In this case I should relink each image manually! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those images look like they are corrupted. 

Open them in your photo editor and then resave them as a different file name and relink them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are clean, I have found the same issue with different layout and with professional images, from huge tiff in CMYK to smaller ones in RGB. Also, the same Indd file with the same images doesn't have any problem if opened with a different machine (Adobe Support told me that it doesn't depend by macOs or Catalina)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if I understand you correctly, the issue is with your harware – you state you've had your graphics card checked – was that done by an expert?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably it is Derek, I did a general check on the machine with Apple team few weeks ago (when they had to change the keyboard). The doubt is that yesterday the Adobe Support (after a long long wait) told me that they don't believe this could be a mac problem. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then it's probably an issue with InDesign - try the CC Cleaner Tool 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene, at the end of the day I will try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wondering if running the CC cleaner tool did the trick for you with this error. I have been having the same issue for approximately two months - images are properly linked and locations have not moved. Preflight checks off perfectly and no missing link error messages are generated, but on PDF export the images appear grainy as if they are not properly linked. I have suspected this is some kind of security issue but have not been able to find any helpful information on the forums, other than a few users who have reported a similar issue. I can relink the files manually and then they will export correctly, but I am most frustrated as I am spending an incredible amount of precious time relinking files that should be functioning correctly the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines