Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Live Color Bar Related to Indexed Designs

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Is there a way to design a color bar in In Design to be at the bottom of the page layout that could update based on the indexed design you were using in the same layout? I currently create my color bars in another program and it is a bit of a workaround. This would be amazing to just create an In Design template that could create a color bar on the fly. I have attached a screenshot to show an idea of what I am inquiring about.

Thank you all in advance. 

Palettes Linked to Design in IN Design.jpg

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Print , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be clearer what you mean by this: "update based on the indexed design you were using in the same layout"

What is an indexed design: Nothing I've ever heard of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies Steve. An indexed design is another form of color management used in photoshop. Similar to RGB or CMYK but limited to 256 colors. Usually used for smaller file sizes for web content or whatever. In my industry it is used to create files the machine can use and color order and percentages are crucial. I used Indesign to create a PDF layout to show client's and the factory the colors used, order the colors are used, the actual design, and all the pertinent information about the design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm.

Perhaps you mean a range of colored rectangles, that is showing all the different colors of an image with indexed colors? What is that other program you are using for this?  Maybe your "work-around" is the best workflow you can do in this situation? Hm. Don't know, but maybe someone could script that with PhotoShop?

What I do not get is the specific order of colors you are showing.

What's the logic behind that particular order? What's the scheme for naming?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Perhaps you mean a range of colored rectangles, that is showing all the different colors of an image with indexed colors?" Exactly. You are spot on with this description. 

Even if I could import a swatch palette (ACO) from Photoshop into set of "colored rectangles" that would work as well since I have to use those anyway for my designs. 

Thank you so so much for your help on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if I could import a swatch palette (ACO) from Photoshop into set of "colored rectangles" that would work as well since I have to use those anyway for my designs. 

If the colors exist as InDesign swatches, a script could be written to build the color bar in the slug area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

Thank you for the quick reply! In my industry the order of colors assigned is crucial. So if I were to input an indexed design in the cell above where the design is shown on my attachment I was curious if I could create a linked standard color bar below that would reflect the colors used in the indexed design in the order they are show in photoshop. Let me know if this makes any more sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines