Highlighted

Live or Static Captions in InDesign 2021

Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having issues generating Live or Static captions in InDesign 2021? I was trying to use the feature and it was just displaying an empty text frame. I'm grabbing metadata from the Description field of an image. When I switch back to InDesign 2020 it works like a charm. Can anyone confirm the same? Trying to figure out if this is on my end.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Chad Chelius | Adobe Community Professional

That's a good suggestion but no, there is no character style appled. So on a whim, I decided to delete the preferences file and voila! It now works! Should have tried that from the very beginning! You'd think after using InDesign for 20+ years I'd know better! Thanks for your help guys!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Live or Static Captions in InDesign 2021

Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having issues generating Live or Static captions in InDesign 2021? I was trying to use the feature and it was just displaying an empty text frame. I'm grabbing metadata from the Description field of an image. When I switch back to InDesign 2020 it works like a charm. Can anyone confirm the same? Trying to figure out if this is on my end.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Chad Chelius | Adobe Community Professional

That's a good suggestion but no, there is no character style appled. So on a whim, I decided to delete the preferences file and voila! It now works! Should have tried that from the very beginning! You'd think after using InDesign for 20+ years I'd know better! Thanks for your help guys!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad, I just tested in InDesign 2021 and had no problem generating a static caption:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 6.46.33 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad,

maybe the placed file type makes a difference?

best post a link to a sample where you see the issue.

To Steve:

thank you very much for posting this image. Been there a couple of years ago.

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested with a .jpg on the left and a .psd on the right. I highlighted all of the text in the caption on the right and you can see the appearance. In the Story Editor, it shows up but visually isn't appearing in Layout view.

Captions.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Never experienced this.

Thanks for the screenshot, Chad.

Could it be that a character style is applied that is using an unusual formatting like 1% character width and a point size of 0.1 Pt with a fill color set to [None] ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 0
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you figured it out, Chad!

It's a good teaching moment: The three most common troubleshooting tips for InDesign I give: (1) Try rebooting your computer; (2) restore your preferences and cache files; (3) Save as an IDML file to remove file corruption.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0