Highlighted

location of a png file

Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

While uploading an EPUB file to Apple Books, I encountered an error message below.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.38.55.png

I should reduce the dimension of the file.

But I can't fine out 1165.png.

It is not in the LINKS panel.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.44.24.png

Would you help me find out the location of 1165.png?

Housn Kang

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

I can see from your Links panel you have some image files that are full page. When you export to EPUB the image resolution you choose is likely exceeding Apple’s 4,000,000 pixel size limit. For example if your page size is 8"x10", choosing 300ppi would exceed the limit 2400 x 3000=7,200,000. Try setting your conversion Settings>Resolution to 150ppi or less.

Screen Shot 1.png

Topics

EPUB, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

location of a png file

Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

While uploading an EPUB file to Apple Books, I encountered an error message below.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.38.55.png

I should reduce the dimension of the file.

But I can't fine out 1165.png.

It is not in the LINKS panel.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.44.24.png

Would you help me find out the location of 1165.png?

Housn Kang

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

I can see from your Links panel you have some image files that are full page. When you export to EPUB the image resolution you choose is likely exceeding Apple’s 4,000,000 pixel size limit. For example if your page size is 8"x10", choosing 300ppi would exceed the limit 2400 x 3000=7,200,000. Try setting your conversion Settings>Resolution to 150ppi or less.

Screen Shot 1.png

Topics

EPUB, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your ePub seems to consist of what would be raster images - If so, it would make it a very large file (apart from other possible issues).

What does it state when you validate the file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Would you explaine what "validate the file" is?

Hosun Kang

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider taking a LinkedIn Learning online video tutorial on the correct way to create ePubs (you can get 39-days free access): 

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-cc-2018-epub?trk=share_ios_course_learning

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two kinds of ePub – FXL ePubs (used for publications like illustrated children's books and cookery books) and Reflowable ePubs (used for text-heavy publications, such as novels and biographies).

Validating an ePub is a means of checking the validity of the ePub and indicating possible issues.

Here's a free one: http://validator.idpf.org

And this is a paid-for one, which gives much more information: https://ebookflightdeck.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 1.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you very much for your analysis.

I might be able to get some clue.

So far, I reduced the dimensions of 6 files, because of the errors about 4M px limit.

They are what you saw at the top in my LINKS panel.

Each file is of full page.

page 208page 208page 215page 215page 216page 216page 217page 217page 238page 238page 239page 239

Q1. Do you mean?; even though those 6 files are less than 4M px for each, they cause the problem, when it is exported to EPUB with 300 ppi.

As you sensed, my book is of letter size (8.5"*11.0") and fixed layout.

I exported to EPUB with 300ppi.

Q2. If I reduce the resolution from 300 ppi to 150 ppi, isn't there any issue to the quality of the final outcome?

Hosun Kang

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you reduce the pixel dimensions of the placed pngs, a 300ppi version will be included in the ePub package, so I think you’ll have to export using 150ppi in order to get Apple’s acceptance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also bear in mind that the Apple iBooks reader, though a good ereader,  can only be used on an Apple computer or device such as an iPad or iPhone. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you choose FXL ePub for the format for this publication? From what I can see, it looks as if it should be a Reflowable ePub.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In December last year, I was trying to publish my book on Kindle Direct Publishing.

But EPUB was not opened at all in Amazon system.

Fortunately, I found out it was opened with the Books app on my iPhone.

To publish on Apple Books, I bought MacBook Pro in late January and I am here.

My book is about the economy.

There are many graphs and figures, which should be placed with the text correctly.

So, I chose fixed layout.

Hosun Kang

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both fixed and reflowable require a Resolution choice. I think your .AI files are also going to get rasterized on export, so there’s no way around the Apple limit for graphic rich layouts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally, those 6 files;

page 208: .ai file

pages 215-217: .pdf file

pages 238-239: .png file

Now, I can roughly sense what's going on inside.

Hosun Kang

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines