Highlighted

Locked Content

Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've received InDesign files from a client, client did not produce the files and asked us to check them so they can try and determine whether they have the correct files used by the previous publisher. Some of the files use plug-ins and we've been saving those files as IDML files and pulling them back in to "detach" the plug-ins. Some files, I think, may have been edited in InCopy, that assumption is based on a folder that suddenly showed up with an file called "Assignment 1.icma." At least one of the plug-ins' on line info seemed to indicate it "allows designers and editors to work simultaneously" so I'm pretty sure the locked content (mostly stories) is a result of one or both the plug-ins or InCopy.

File info shows only shows InDesign CC 2014 (Macintosh) with a format of "application/x-indesign."

Is there any way to tell whether an InDesign file was edited with InCopy so we can be on the look out for the locked content?

Is there a better way to deal with this type of locked content other than IDML? I see there are scripts out there but they all seem to indicate the "regular" type of locked content (not locked by InCopy or a plug-in) and I couldn't find anything in the scripting LockStateValues that indicated a story that I couldn't edit (before saving as IDML) was locked.

Thanks very much,

Ken

Topics

How to, InCopy workflow, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Locked Content

Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've received InDesign files from a client, client did not produce the files and asked us to check them so they can try and determine whether they have the correct files used by the previous publisher. Some of the files use plug-ins and we've been saving those files as IDML files and pulling them back in to "detach" the plug-ins. Some files, I think, may have been edited in InCopy, that assumption is based on a folder that suddenly showed up with an file called "Assignment 1.icma." At least one of the plug-ins' on line info seemed to indicate it "allows designers and editors to work simultaneously" so I'm pretty sure the locked content (mostly stories) is a result of one or both the plug-ins or InCopy.

File info shows only shows InDesign CC 2014 (Macintosh) with a format of "application/x-indesign."

Is there any way to tell whether an InDesign file was edited with InCopy so we can be on the look out for the locked content?

Is there a better way to deal with this type of locked content other than IDML? I see there are scripts out there but they all seem to indicate the "regular" type of locked content (not locked by InCopy or a plug-in) and I couldn't find anything in the scripting LockStateValues that indicated a story that I couldn't edit (before saving as IDML) was locked.

Thanks very much,

Ken

Topics

How to, InCopy workflow, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 12, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the assignments panel. Are there any InCopy stories?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering, Bob.

When opening some documents in InCopy I'm getting what you see in the screenshot below. Opening it in InDesign I get no warnings about plug-ins but there is a story that shows no locks on it's text frame yet I can't edit it unless I save as IDML and open it back up in InD.

Thanks again,

Ken

KenWK_0-1591984443914.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no InCopy content.

For the story you can't edit, go to that spread and unlock everything. It's possible that the frame is locked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should have said I already tried that. Other things unlock but not that one particular frame.

Any other ideas are welcome. I'll post back if I find anything.

Thanks again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to put the file in a dropbox folder and share a link, I'll take a look.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I hope your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please let us know so that we can assist you further. 

Else please confirm if any of the suggestions above helped. 

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0