Highlighted

Long running head placed in short sidebar textbox squishes all text onto one line

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm trying to create running heads of my chapter names and subtitles, using their respective paragraph styles. I'd like them to sit in sidebar text boxes on the master pages, but when the text is longer than the width of the text box, it seems to squish it all into one line instead of breaking the line to flow within the text box. I've attached photos of what it's doing vs. what I'd like it to look like. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Deste411-bsnKrv,

this behavior is a feature that is working as "expected". Why? Because InDesign sees the whole running header as one single character. A special character yes, but only one single one.

What can you do?

Convert that running header to normal text. See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html#delete_convert_and_import_text_variables

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Long running head placed in short sidebar textbox squishes all text onto one line

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm trying to create running heads of my chapter names and subtitles, using their respective paragraph styles. I'd like them to sit in sidebar text boxes on the master pages, but when the text is longer than the width of the text box, it seems to squish it all into one line instead of breaking the line to flow within the text box. I've attached photos of what it's doing vs. what I'd like it to look like. 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Deste411-bsnKrv,

this behavior is a feature that is working as "expected". Why? Because InDesign sees the whole running header as one single character. A special character yes, but only one single one.

What can you do?

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html#delete_convert_and_import_text_variables

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the yellow highlight on the second image is show an issue with your style. as in an override,

can you should us screenshots of how you set up your styles?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the yellow highlite is due to the H&J violations checkbox being marked in composition. Here's a screenshot of the CS running head style.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 1.41.43 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the style you are pulling this from. is that style clear of overrides?

lets look at the "CS" style

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 2.10.24 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deste411-bsnKrv,

What can you do?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe. Can you tell me why "Convert to text" might be greyed out when I select my text variable in the Text Variable window? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes. This option is only available if a text is selected that contains a text variable special character.

To convert all instances of your text variables you could delete your custom variable and get the option to convert all instances to text. From my German InDesign where I hit button Delete ( "Löschen" ) and changed the option in the alert window to [x] Text:

RemoveTextVariable-ConvertToText.PNG

But before doing this you should either do a new text variable that is based on the definitions of the one you want to remove or later, after you removed your custom one, load your custom text variable from an earlier version of your document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to use a Running Head (Character Style) as the type of variable. Create a Character Style (it doesn't need any formats) and apply it to the first few or most important words in the chapter names. The variable will pick out just those words. Your chapter names will be abbreviated, but if you can live with that, it's a viable solution.Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 12.53.28.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe! These are good things to know. I think I will create a master page for each chapter instead of using text variables, since it seems like it will be a lot of work to convert each instance to text.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in addition to these excellent advices, if you want to have only one master page with variable running header in two or more lines, one another way could be using nested style in your paragraph stile "Title" and and than inserting Special Character "End Nested Style" when you need to have one other line in your running header

Schermata 2020-06-16 alle 16.43.09.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0