Exit

Losing text at RTF text import

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

First of all, a Happy New Year!

Now to the problem. From time to time, when I import a Word text in InDesign (CC2019) and the file is a RTF file there are portions of text that disapear. The same file produce the same result always. Did this hapen to others to? If I convert the text in a DOC file then the text is not missing. Is there a reason for this problem? For many reasons, we work a lot with RTF files so I would prefer a solution other than convertig the RTF file. And I would like to understand.

Thank you,

Dan

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess without seeing the file...

Is it possible the text could be tagged as hidden text?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to do that in Word (or to check that), but I do not believe this applies here. In Word the text is visible and we import the RTF with the option "Remove Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables". Also, the missing text can not be found in InDesign in Story Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nvr  mnd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd also recommend checking out https://indesignsecrets.com/the-case-of-the-disappearing-text.php to know more about it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Did this hapen to others to?

This is known bug for some cyryllic text, as example. AFAIK needs to change Russian "K" to some another symbol before import. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The text is in German, the font in Word is Times New Roman and in InDesign is Minion Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines