Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacOS Finder Freezing and Won't Relaunch When Using Creative Cloud Apps

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

A couple of my coworkers have been having this strange issue on their work computers. After upgrading MacOS to Big Sur, whenever they're using any apps from the Creative Cloud (Photoship and InDesign, most often), Finder locks up. After it locks up, going to Force Quit and trying to relaunch does nothing. This causes them to have to restart their computer completely. This wouldn't be too big of a deal, but it happens very frequently; one of my coworkers told me that they had to restart their computer 2 or 3 times in about an hour and a half at one point. We upgraded this particular person's computer to max out their RAM (32GB), thinking that it was an issue with these apps eating up too much memory/system resources. Unfortunately, this didn't do anything. We thought it might be some other app, like Google Drive, but those of us in our department who don't use the CC apps as regularly don't have this issue. In other words, it seems like prolonged usage of any of the CC apps causes this issue to occur.

I've tried looking this up in the community, but it seems like most people are having a sort of reverse problem, with CC apps crashing and locking up. Aside from making sure these apps are all up-to-date, does anybody have any insight on this? I'd like to get this ironed out for my coworkers.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably, you've tried resetting the applications' preferences?

Have you plenty of spare hard disk space on each of the computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried reseting the preferences, no. I'll try that next. In terms of hard drive space, there's plenty. I don't think that's the issue.

After reseting the preferences, if that doesn't work, is there anything else you can think of that I should look into or checkout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have at least 100GB of free hard disk space?

To reset the InDesign preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

You can reset the Photoshop preferences under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

If resetting preferences doesn't resolve the issue, consider using the Adobe Cleaner Tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well over 100GB. Somewhere in the 800–900 range.

I'm trying out a different solution right now. If that doesn't work, I'll try resetting the settings for the apps and let you know how that goes.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem now for months and it happens 3 to 4 times each workday.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro with 16 GB Memory and 2 Terrabyte SSD Disk with MacOS Monterey 12.3 operating system. The problem is Apple release undependant.

Double clicking after several work time on a PDF file in the Finder freezes the Adobe Pro DC application and/ or the Finder.

Only possible way to conntinue is to restart de Macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought I was going mad... on Adobe forums not much of this issue is available, so I was very glad to see it wasn't just me. Not so glad actually, because it means somewhere there's something seriously wrong. Big Sur, Mojave, Ventura, they all seem to have the same issue, so it must be Adobe somehow. My situation, when opening, editing, working on or saving a file, very randomly Acrobat freezes. Once that app is forced quit, Finder freezes, which I can't seem to restart. So a full restart of the Mac is required. Some days go flawless, other day I'm rebooting like a dozen times. At first it may appear that deleting app prefs is the solution, but then again a couple of days later it is there again. Frustrating. But I can't find a solution....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issues for over 2 months now, same as you described. I've tried everything. Reinstalled everything and i also have enough space left on my SSD. And i'm working on a 3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 | 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Imac 27" model from 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So resetting the InDesign preferences didn't help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now it did actually! I've also installed a new update for mac Montery 12.3. I'll let you know if i'm still getting trouble with it. Let's hope it will work for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines