• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magazine for Online, USb & Print: Where to start?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! I need to make a magazine that serves 3 different purposes:

- One PDF file that can go on a USB and handed to customers.

-One file that can go on a website. I Would like the magazine ads to be able to be clicked,  linking the reader to the website of of the advertiser. Also worried about the magazine looking great on phone/tablet/ pc. Not sure if I would need to upload a vector file type or what file type this would need to be  finalized but heres an example:

https://www.nxtbook.com/naylor/PPID/PPID0019/index.php#/p/Intro

- One file that can be sent to the printers for a printed magazine.

What file type do I neeed to start with  so I can be time efficient? I would like to make one master file and duplicate it. Make the neccesary adjustments or conversions to the copies and have my 3 files ready to go. That way I'm not completely redesigning each time. Any advice on streamlining this process? I'm new to vector files, InDesign and Illustrator but have lots of experience with photoshop & wordpress.

TOPICS
Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first 2 needs could be met with an export to (RGB) Interactive PDF

The third need is best served with an export to EPUB3

The fourth need should be an export to a (CMYK) prepress PDF

Whereas the InDesign file (in RGB) is the flexible master file for design production, you would do a File > Export to these 3 filetypes.

Your linked example is to a third-party, Nxtbook, who takes your interactive PDF and puts it into their wrapper. Best operated from a desktop, it is less satisfying on smaller tablet screens.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The example you posted can't be included in a PDF - you could include a hyperlink to an external service such as YouTube or similar.

If you were happy to have a page size of around A5 you could produce a PDF version that could be read on smaller digital devices and a version be printed by a commercial printer.

If you are not charging for the magazine you could consider using InDesign's Publish Online for the digital version and enable it so a PDF version could be downloaded by the end-user (it would be a static PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

all you need is one file. in CYMK. Simple. that is your print file. you have indesign that will export to interactive .pdf which is your RBG. The link you sent is for NEXTBOOk, they are a pensylvania based company that digitizes magazines. i use them.

Most of what you want to accomplished can't be done from publish online features. you will need a product like IN5 by ajar productions. I use IN5 for magazines. works great.

happy to answer other questions you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines