Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic disappearing script

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ....

I'm baffled. 2 weeks ago I had a script in my "Utilities-->Script" window, that would crop/extract all images in a file and make them all a certain resolution. Now it has disappeared, and there is no record of it even in my TimeMachine.

Since that time I did have a phone session with Adobe and they trashed my preferences. Not sure that would have trashed a script though!

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? This is very puzzling! The other thing is there are tons of scripts in there, that I don't ever remember seeing (I only remember seeing a couple, including the one I want).

Thanks for any help with this! I'm using CC2019 on Sierra.

Alison

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

The Scripts panel has two folders Application and User. You can store your scripts in either. The path to Application is:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Scripts/Scripts Panel.

The path to User is:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 15.0/en_US/Scripts/Scripts Panel

I prefer the Application folder, but both can accidentally get deleted—Application on an ID upgrade, and User on a Preferences reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that script was for InDesign, the workings of the script does not sound like InDesign but more of Photoshop or Illustrator. Trashing preferences does not have any bearing on scripts though

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it was in the old preferences folder, in a sort of obscure place ... it is an export images script for ID, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I figured it out. The disappearance *was* caused by the preferences being trashed, but I finally found it in the old preferences folder and put it back where it belonged ... (It was in the Users folder). Not sure how I got so lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Scripts panel has two folders Application and User. You can store your scripts in either. The path to Application is:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Scripts/Scripts Panel.

The path to User is:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 15.0/en_US/Scripts/Scripts Panel

I prefer the Application folder, but both can accidentally get deleted—Application on an ID upgrade, and User on a Preferences reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's very helpful. Part of the problem is that the User Library folder is invisible too : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By default OSX hides the Library folder:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/reveal-library-folder-in-macos/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines