• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Main TOC not picking up other TOC headings

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First problem: My main TOC is not picking up the titles of three TOCs generated for lists of tables, figures, and maps at the beginning of the document. The titlesā€™ paragraph style is included in the main TOC style. The same paragraph style is also applied to a glossary (which is not a TOC) at the end of the document, and that glossary heading is in fact appearing, so the TOC style is correct. There are no paragraph style groups. 

One difference is that the glossary heading has the two dots that signify an anchor; is that the reason it is being picked up in the TOC? If so, is it possible to insert those in automatically generated TOC titles for the lists?

Second problem: when I style each of the TOCs, I see that one option for styling the entry is a paragraph style I donā€™t want to exist at allā€”but when I go to the Paragraph Style panel to delete it, it is not there. It is not hurting anything as far as I know, but I like to have a very clean document. How can I delete it?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Elisar:

This is a new one for meā€”I have never tried to pull in heads from one generated list into another in InDesign, but evidently, it doesn't want to do it.

In this first image, the List of Figures was generated correctly, including allowing InDesign to add the title and apply the style. It looks great, but InDesign will not let another generated list access the content. 

lof1.png

Once I unthreaded the title and put it in its own frameā€”and pulled the title from the DRC Figures styleā€”updating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show screen shots of what you are seeing?

1.  Insertion point in a title that is not being picked up with the Paragraph Styles panel
  2. The TOC style that you are seeing that is not in the Paragraph Styles panel

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To jane-e:

1. I don't know what you mean by insertion point. Do you mean the two-dot anchor? Here are screenshots showing: the list of figures title (generated automatically as a TOC), which does not appear in the main TOC; and the glossary (which is just text) which does appear in the main TOC. Both are styled with the same TOC style, with no manually applied character styles, and no paragraph style groups.

2. Also attached is a screenshot showing the mysterious paragraph style.

screenshot-1a.pngscreenshot-1b.pngscreenshot-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by insertion point.

An insertion point is what you get when you select the Type tool and click once in your text.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you. Did my screenshots help to clarify my two questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can anyone help answer my original question: why is my main TOC not picking up the titles of the three other "internal" TOCs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see from your screen shots why this is happening. If you would like to share the file, put it on dropbox and share the link in a reply (public) or message me directly (private).

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elisar:

This is a new one for meā€”I have never tried to pull in heads from one generated list into another in InDesign, but evidently, it doesn't want to do it.

In this first image, the List of Figures was generated correctly, including allowing InDesign to add the title and apply the style. It looks great, but InDesign will not let another generated list access the content. 

lof1.png

Once I unthreaded the title and put it in its own frameā€”and pulled the title from the DRC Figures styleā€”updating the TOC worked correctly. lof2.png

lof3.png

You seem to know your way around InDesign, but if you need more details on how to do this, just let me know. It will take a few minutes to adjust the file, and then all of the lists will be easily to update after edits.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, that is what I expected but thought InDesign surely could resolve it. I guess the TOC would not pull in the title of an Index either. I can take it from here. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh, that is what I expected but thought InDesign surely could resolve it.

I didn't know it wouldn't do it, either! 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines