Make page number same color as chapter color

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to do the following:
I have a chapter named "XYZABC", which has sya, 10 recipes in the chapter
I amtrying to set the Page Number to  say 100 and the nect Chapter , if it is BLUE chapter headings , then the page numbers will switch to 120, etc.

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Eugene Tyson | Adobe Community Professional

I agree the best way is using the File>New Book

And each file being a chapter of the book. 

It's the easiest way.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html

I've been calling for years for Adobe to have a "Section Colour" feature, and then apply this Section Colour to headings/paragraphs etc.

That way you just change each section within a single file - and apply a Colour in this part - then in the paragraph/character/object styles etc.  you just select the colour to be the Section colour. Assigning this colour in the Section Options.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Make page number same color as chapter color

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to do the following:
I have a chapter named "XYZABC", which has sya, 10 recipes in the chapter
I amtrying to set the Page Number to  say 100 and the nect Chapter , if it is BLUE chapter headings , then the page numbers will switch to 120, etc.

Thank you

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Eugene Tyson | Adobe Community Professional

It's the easiest way.

I've been calling for years for Adobe to have a "Section Colour" feature, and then apply this Section Colour to headings/paragraphs etc.

That way you just change each section within a single file - and apply a Colour in this part - then in the paragraph/character/object styles etc.  you just select the colour to be the Section colour. Assigning this colour in the Section Options.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider making a master page with the page number on it. Then you would build two more masters, one with current page number in red, and one in blue, that inherit from the first master with its page number. Like a master page for master pages.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike.
I have a bunch of chapters , would I need to build a master multiplied by # of chapters ?
What about left vs right side page numbers?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your bunch of chapters only change between blue and red, then no. Two submasters would suffice. 

If each of your chapters varies in design, then yes. Some use masters as an equivalency to chapters.

When you make masters, make the Facing Pages (left and right handed) and number of Pages = 2. I assume your document is already defined as Facing Pages?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, ID don't have such feature, you're need a programer who do for you a script that will be check your chapter color and change master-page to template that needs to be applied on this page (with page number colored as chapter color) and then will go to next page, do it checking/applying and so on for next pages. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started writing a script but I ran out of time... It was not so obvious to code in textpad and  documentation was difficult to understand..  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised to read from an ACP such feature doesn't exit in InDesign!

I think it exits since the creation of InDesign +20 years ago. It's the "Book" feature!

Create a document, a para style "Chapter" and a para style "Page Number" using both a color you call "Chapter".

Using this doc-template, create a "book" containing all the docs.

You will just need to change the "Chapter" color settings in each document, one doc per Chapter.

Of course, it will be easy and fast if just a dozen of chapters! [Manually]

If hundreds, you could need a simplistic script [I've already written some years ago for clients]

(^/)  The Jedi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 2
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Not all ACP's is a Jedi as you and have scripting skills.  If you're not paste code of script here why you're up here your light sword?))

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jedi

var myBook =app.documents.item;
myBookContents = myBook.contents,
D = myBook.length,
//————————————————————————-
myColorValues = [
"VeggieGreen","Titles", "soup_Orange","Fish Color Swatch","MeatPoultrySwatch","sweets blue Swatch"]
alert(myBook);

for (var d = 0; d < D; d++) {
var myFile = myBook[d],

myColor = myBook.colors.item("chapterColor");
myColor.colorValue = myColorValues[d];

}

}

I tried something like this but boo.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, as said, no need a script here!

Then, as I see, Martin already knew and uses here the "Book" feature [good point]!

About the script he wrote, If he's not a "Sith", I will give him a little help to finish it, in private, and if nobody else does it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can assist, it would be fantastic!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  here the "Book" feature 

Here is not for all. If chapters will be small why don't user needs to do for every chapter new indd-file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the easiest way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I've been calling for years for Adobe to have a "Section Colour" feature, and then apply this Section Colour to headings/paragraphs etc.

Is your calls have "feature request" post on uservoice? If not - please do, show here a link. All who's needs this feature will press his voice, I'm sure. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course it's on Uservoice - look it up.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Geоrge LATEST
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give full direct link?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0