• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making Buttons & TOC links work in EPUB (for Thorium Reader)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community 🙂

I am creating a very interactive fixed layout epub (incl. Buttons, videos, pop-up menu, links to destination pages) which works perfect in ibooks on apple. But as most know, finding a good epub reader for other systems is difficult. I now found the Thorium Reader to work really well on Windows.

The only thing that doesn't work are my Buttons that are supposed to take the reader to a hyperlink destination within the document. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? Interestingly the links in the Table of Contents, which I have created with the TOC feature in Indesign, work well and take the reader everywhere. But I also want the Buttons to work, just like they do in ibooks. Any ideas on what the differences between the links in the TOC and in my buttons could be?

So far I only figured out that the TOC works through Bookmarks rather than Hyperlink destinations, but I haven't figured out how I can make buttons go to bookmarks.

Thank you,
Fabian 

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick addition to my post: I know that I can select the bookmarks used in the TOC thorugh the buttons panel, but it doesn't change anything about the button's functionality when opening the epub in Thorium reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the "Go to Page" action in InDesign for the button instead of go to destination? I think destination is specific to the PDF format which could explain why it's not working. Although you're saying that it IS working in iBooks correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chad, thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried that and unfortunately it didn't work. I think it has to be a limitation of the Thorium reader that buttons that are supposed to take the reader to a certain page, simply don't work. It works so well in ibooks. Wondering if ADE or Thorium will ever be able to compare to that.
Anyway, thanks for the help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also be dealing with a limitation of the Thorium reader. This is our plight with the FXL format. iBooks is amazing, everything else is just lackluster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really is unfortunate and in the case of Adobe Digital Edition is a downright disgrace.

You'd think Adobe could come up with a reader app that can handle files exported from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my (and probably everyone else's) thoughts. I saw that they have been making updates lately to ADE esepcially with a focus on improving epub (epub3) readibility. Let's hope they pick up the pace and one day will be able to read their own formats..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign creates links to other pages via Javascript and the window.location() function. This is not necessary at all, and a simple anchor <a href=""></a> would work just fine. 

Thorium does not support window.location(). Which sort-of makes sense, because it is meant for URLs in a browser/web server environment, and epubs really have no actual URLs. 

There is no good reason to rely on javascript for internal page links in an epub: the anchor is all we need. It is needlessy overcomplicating things.

If you open the epub file and replace the gotodestination js calls with an anchor tag (embed the button code in the a tag) it will work in either reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rayek,

thanks for your response. It sounds quite promising. However, I have only worked with epubs in Indesign so far, so I was wondering how (which program) and where I can replace the gotodestination js calls with an anchor tag? Do I have to use javascript or can I do that inside indesign? 

Thanks for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines