• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making Numbered Paragraphs into Conditional Text

Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Formatting a book that has four conditions: All, A, B, and C.

I have a heading that the client states is only for audiences A and C. It's numbered. When conditions A and C are ON (viewable), I get a good heading:

condition_on.png

But when only conditions A and C are OFF, I get only the numbered portion of the heading:

condition_off.png

Is there a way to include the numbered portion of the heading in the condition? The number is part of the heading definition, after all. BTW, an empty green bar is just fine -- it's the text that needs to be conditional.

I have a similar issue that applies to numbered Figures. I need the figure number to disappear as well as the text describing the figure.

Thanks for any help.

-j

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Well, then, that seems to be an issue with InDesign that I have not run across before.

Works as expected when the condition tag includes the ¶:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.36.21.pngScreenshot 2018-03-29 20.36.31.png

But we have a problem when it's at the end of a story:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.36.58.png

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.37.08.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nedlaw:

It comes down to how you marked that heading conditional: did you mark the entire paragraph or just the words?

When assigning a condition tag to a numbered list, be sure to select the entire paragraph so that the whole paragraph can hide and show:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.22.33.png

A and B assigned to the entire paragraph (including the ¶), then hidden:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.20.26.png

A and B assigned to just the words (and not the ¶), then hidden:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.19.57.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I am missing some type of technique, here. I have double-clicked the paragraph. I have tried to draw the cursor from the far left ("Section 9:") all the way through to the # marker. ID does not seem to want to let me select the numberered portion or the # at the end of the paragraph.

selection.png

I would like to select the whole paragraph -- from numbered section to # mark. But not having much luck. Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four clicks selects a paragraph, unless you set it to three clicks in Preferences.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Result of 4-clicking the paragraph:

result.png

No joy. BTW, this is not in a linked frame (though I don't think it should matter) so that is not a paragraph mark at the end but a story mark. I have tried to select the paragraph in the story editor, but that numbered part -- section 9 -- doesn't even appear there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I see the end of story marker—the # symbol in your screen shot—is your text in a table cell, or at the end of story?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text is in its own frame at the top of a page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a table cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then, that seems to be an issue with InDesign that I have not run across before.

Works as expected when the condition tag includes the ¶:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.36.21.pngScreenshot 2018-03-29 20.36.31.png

But we have a problem when it's at the end of a story:

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.36.58.png

Screenshot 2018-03-29 20.37.08.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure seems to. All I wanted to do was to show/not show this head. (The green bar is Okay where it is.)

I will try threading this head into the story and see whether that give me the result I need -- although I don't want the following story to "mount" into the green bar. The alternative is Head/No Head.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks much for your quick attention. Many knowledgeable folks hang out on the forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Threading the head into the following text did the trick. I will mark your last post the answer.

However: I worried that the following text would be affected, and it was. Now I have to straighten that formatting out... but at least that's straightforward. Thanks again.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I learned something here tonight as well. Good to know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a issue if you right click and convert the numbers to text (and tag the entire line with the condition tag) but then the numbers won't update.

You have uncovered an issue with your very specific situation. You can report it here: Adobe InDesign Feedback.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines