Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

many, many blank pages in the middle of epub

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!
I am building a reflowable epub from a book document. Suddenly a lot of blank pages are appearing in the middle of the epub when I export from inDesign. Like, a LOT. The book is 500 pages but the exports are turning out nearly 20,000 pages! What's even weirder is that if I work on the document and re-export, the thousands of blank pages appear in a different area of the book. They do always appear in the same chapter document though.
Any thoughts?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Ok, after messing around a little longer it is beginning to look like if I wait 10 minutes or so with the ePub open after trying to resize or change the shape of the window, the pages go up to 20,000 and then go back down to 500. So perhaps this is all a processing issue with iBooks?

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use paragraph styles? (You should.)
What are the TAG EXPORT settings in your Paragraph Style? 

Do you use several returns in a raw? You should not to so and EPUB export should normally ignore it.
Are all images anchored in the story? Necessary to get them on the correct place and not on the end.
Do you have text frames on the master? You should only have text frames on the master for running headers and page numbers, not for text. Except primary text frames. Reapplying a master causes overlapping text frames which can be the cause for empty pages in the EPUB export. Text frames are only allowed on pages not on ther master or parent pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought InDesign master page elements weren't implemented in Reflowable ePubs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they were overriden they are no longer master elements and if you reapply such pages it will happen. Often people have blind text on master parents and use them as forms and write in these frames after overriding them.

Page numbers and running headers are used in their dynamic form in epubs as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, Willi!

I just set up the TOC Nav and exported again and that seemed to have fixed it.

After I celebrated, I dragged the epub into a different shape and when it re-rendered itself, it had the 20,000 pages again! 😞

I was able to reproduce that effect: I made some other changes in the document, exported to ePub, and it looked good. In the process of resizing, 20,000 pages.

I do use paragraph styles, a variety of them.

The tag exports are "p" for paragraphs and "h1" etc for headings. In some cases it's set to "automatic".

There are not several returns in a row.

All images are anchored.

The only text frames on the master are for page numbers (this was originally built for a print book).

Thank you so much for your time and effort on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, after messing around a little longer it is beginning to look like if I wait 10 minutes or so with the ePub open after trying to resize or change the shape of the window, the pages go up to 20,000 and then go back down to 500. So perhaps this is all a processing issue with iBooks?

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines