Highlighted

Masking objects that appear outside of another shape

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to hide the grey shape when it is not overlapping the pink rectangle)

So far looked at clipping and masking and neither seem to do what I want it to do.

Carlin78_0-1589451401038.png

I am able to place another frame over the transparent shape, but not sure if this is best practice.

I can also change the shape with vector points, but this is time consuming as the pink shape will change height from page to page.

Is there a better way?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jmlevy | Adobe Community Professional

Which shapes did you select?

If you select the white rectangle and the grey polygon, it should work using the second pathdinder icon (I am using the french version and the names do not match)

Capture d’écran 2020-05-14 à 12.36.31.jpg

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Masking objects that appear outside of another shape

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to hide the grey shape when it is not overlapping the pink rectangle)

So far looked at clipping and masking and neither seem to do what I want it to do.

Carlin78_0-1589451401038.png

I am able to place another frame over the transparent shape, but not sure if this is best practice.

I can also change the shape with vector points, but this is time consuming as the pink shape will change height from page to page.

Is there a better way?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jmlevy | Adobe Community Professional

If you select the white rectangle and the grey polygon, it should work using the second pathdinder icon (I am using the french version and the names do not match)

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the pathfinder

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers jmlevy for the quick reply,
Unfortunately the pathfinder doesn't quite get it right either. The closest I could get was with the Pathfinder > 'Minus Back'

I am looking for the opposite output. Selection order seemed to have no effect.

Carlin78_0-1589452243579.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised what you meant, thank you for clarifying 🙂

That did resolve my issue

Thank you again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternate method would be to copy the gray shape to the clipboard, select the red shape and Paste into. The gray object can then be selected and moved with the direct select tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines