• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master Font between new files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a new INDD page, I want the same font to open with the new page.

How is this done?

In other words, I'd like to have ONE font as my overriding MASTER whenever a new page or document is created.

At this time, Minion is always loaded when I begin typing. 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

As mentioned, you want to change your font in ID without a document open. More importantly, you also want to change the font that is specified in the "Basic Paragraph" Paragraph Style, also, set any other type specifications (dictionaries, paragraph alignments, hypehantion on/off, ligatures on/off, etc etc, to what you regularly use. Set any page defaults you like (columns, margins, etc) while you're at it. After you do that, any new document will have that as your base (if you ever reset your I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Go to the Window menu, move down to Styles, and open the Paragraph Styles panel. 

Then double-click on the Basic Paragraph style--change the settings to what you want (as previously suggested).

You can also create any Paragraph and Character styles that you want in every NEW document. These changes will not affect existing documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no files open, change the font from Minion to whatever you'd like new files to use as a default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is my issue. I do this for EVERY document. I don't want Minion at all, but it comes up every new page I create.

My goal is to have a MASTER font so every time I start typing a new document I get my favorite font. More importantly, that when I copy a text box in another document and PASTE that box to a new document, it keeps the same font. 

Suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, you want to change your font in ID without a document open. More importantly, you also want to change the font that is specified in the "Basic Paragraph" Paragraph Style, also, set any other type specifications (dictionaries, paragraph alignments, hypehantion on/off, ligatures on/off, etc etc, to what you regularly use. Set any page defaults you like (columns, margins, etc) while you're at it. After you do that, any new document will have that as your base (if you ever reset your ID preferences, you will need to do this again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

I looked (for a long time) for "Basic Paragraph". Not only in Preferences, but everywhere. Cannot find such a category. 

I've used INDD for 30 years and never bothered wondering whether I could have a "master font" that came up all the time.

I now do a lot a copy and paste from one ID file to anothe.

I copy the text box with "Mr Hand 2" 12pt Centered No Hyphen, etc. 

When I got to paste the text box in a new ID file, it always converts to Minion.

Suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Window menu, move down to Styles, and open the Paragraph Styles panel. 

Then double-click on the Basic Paragraph style--change the settings to what you want (as previously suggested).

You can also create any Paragraph and Character styles that you want in every NEW document. These changes will not affect existing documents. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember, when you paste, the copy will take the text attributes of the Styles in the document you're pasting into if the same-named Style exists in both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help you to know that changing the font is not usually a recommended way to use InDesign - that's just using it as if it's Word. The pros will not touch the font pull down. They will set up and change styles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the pros will not change Basic Paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. It's one of the first things I DO change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would modify that statement somewhat, Scott...

Most pros will not use the Basic Paragraph style, but there is nothing wrong with making some basic changes such as the font (I like to change it to Myriad Pro). Generally, I leave the size, leading, and most other settings alone. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But since I never use it I never change it. Changing BP is a landmine, and I know it’s there so I know not to step on it.

I will change the default text format, but before I do that I make sure the No Style is the default paragraph style, then make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines