Highlighted

Master Layout Won't Transfer to Other Pages

Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I downloaded a template from BookBaby, something I've done several times. First strange thing I noticed is in Pages tab I suddenly have, beneath the [None] and A-Master panel, there's "Letter H" that says it's an alternative layout. I've never seen that before, nor can I get rid of it. Secondly, no matter what I do, I cannot get my layout in Master to apply to any other pages. I've done this procedure many times but I can't get it to work today, plus I'm confused about "alternative layout."  What is this and where did it come from? 

thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Letter "V" stands for "vertical". Letter "H" stands vor "horizontal".

If you start a document with vertical sized pages like Letter, by default the name of the corresponding Alternate Layout is "Letter V". If you start your document with horizontal pages in Letter format by default the corresponding Alternate Layout is named "Letter H".

Note: Every document has at least one alternate layout.

It's just a different "view" on your document in the Pages panel.

The start of every alternate layout is also the start of a section.

You cannot remove the section start on the first page of your document.

But if you remove the section start of the second alternate layout you remove the alternate layout itself. You can do this with the controls of the Pages panel if you select the section start page.

More on this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/alternate-layouts-liquid-layouts.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Master Layout Won't Transfer to Other Pages

Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I downloaded a template from BookBaby, something I've done several times. First strange thing I noticed is in Pages tab I suddenly have, beneath the [None] and A-Master panel, there's "Letter H" that says it's an alternative layout. I've never seen that before, nor can I get rid of it. Secondly, no matter what I do, I cannot get my layout in Master to apply to any other pages. I've done this procedure many times but I can't get it to work today, plus I'm confused about "alternative layout."  What is this and where did it come from? 

thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

If you start a document with vertical sized pages like Letter, by default the name of the corresponding Alternate Layout is "Letter V". If you start your document with horizontal pages in Letter format by default the corresponding Alternate Layout is named "Letter H".

But if you remove the section start of the second alternate layout you remove the alternate layout itself. You can do this with the controls of the Pages panel if you select the section start page.

More on this:

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 31, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I got it to work, but I still don't know what the Letter H alternative layout is or where it came from. I checked other projects and they also have this thing, sometimes it's Letter V, or such, which I never noticed before today (dummy!) Anyway, I'll have to research this. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More on this:

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 0