• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master page based on Master page of another document.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Hi symeonsin,

if you want a "link" from one document to a different one with master pages you can only do this via an InDesign book file that has a list of InDesign documents. With InDesign's book function you could synchronize masters.

Before doing that I would test this function extensively. It's a very special workflow. Best you have a backup at hand if something goes wrong. See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html#synchronize_book_documents

Regards,
Uwe Laubend

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly by using the Select All - Copy - Paste in Place sequence. Arguably by using Save As to create a new document based on an existing InDesign document/template.

So I'd say yes, it is possible.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first import the master page from the other document. From the Pages panel menu, choose Master Pages > Load Master Page. Navigate to the document you want to use and choose the master page.

ImportMasterPage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to Randy and Steve's responses, I'd recommend checking out the help article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/master-pages.html#copy_masters for more information.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all.

I think that you are proposing me how to copy Master Pages. I tried it, but the new Master Pages are not based on the original, that is they do not follow their changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi symeonsin,

if you want a "link" from one document to a different one with master pages you can only do this via an InDesign book file that has a list of InDesign documents. With InDesign's book function you could synchronize masters.

Before doing that I would test this function extensively. It's a very special workflow. Best you have a backup at hand if something goes wrong. See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-book-files.html#synchronize_book_documents

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Laubender

It works pretty well!

One more question please.

Each document has endnotes. Is it possible to put all of them in the end of the book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Endnotes for all documents of a book file?
Unfortunately no. That's not possible with the Endnotes feature of InDesign.

This issue ( or missing feature ) was debated a lot here in the forum.

There should be a feature request for this ( or perhaps a bug report ) at InDesign UserVoice.

Ah. Found this ones:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/35140396-co...

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37165906-en...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines