• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master page links breaking - Help!

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I have not found any conversation with the same problem, so I hope someone can help.

I have 2 master pages with 1 and 2 text boxes. They drive the layout for all my portfolio. I have been using this same file for years.

However, about once every year, I open the document and the links between pages and master pages are broken. I end up re-linking each individual pages with its master one-by-one. When my portfolio was 100 or 200 pages, that was painful, but manageable.

But my portfolio is now 500+ pages, and it took almost 2 full days to relink everything. Not ideal when you struggle finding 1 hour in your schedule..

Has anyone had the same issue?

Or would anyone have an idea as to why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Any tip appreciated.

(Before you tell I'm crazy, the actual portfolio I use for clients or job applications is more like 50 pages. The 500+ document is a master file that contains everything I may want to include in my folio, and I use it to create those derivated smaller portfolios.)

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily reapply a master page on a whole bunch of pages: select them in the page panel by shift click on them then alt click the master page you want to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmlevy,

Thank you for your suggestion. If I do this, then the master overrides all these pages, thus replacing the text blocks filled with text with empty text blocks. Then I have to copy-paste the text again in each text block of every page. Or am I missing something? Or I'm not using master pages in the right way?

(This is essentially what I'm doing. The only difference is that I re-apply the master to each page one-by-one instead of in a batch as per your suggestion. The reason I'm doing this is that I can just copy the text from the block, apply the master, and then paste the text in the new master-linked block. I find it easier/quicker than batch-applying the master, and coping/pasting from an external text source).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand why you would need to reapply the master page once you have filled the text on each frame on the current pages. Would you post a screen shot of your master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for for wanting to help.

Once in a while, I open that indesign document and all the links with the master pages are all broken. Hence me having to re-apply all these master pages to each page, one-by-one, thenre-pasting the text in each frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I do not understand what you mean by “all the links with the master pages are all broken”. What links? Images? Maybe a screenshot could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alexisc38148975,

is it that your custom masters are not applied to the document pages anymore?

What master is applied then? The [None] master? The A-Master?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender,

Yes, it seems no master page (or the "non" one) is applied to any to the pages anymore.

That happens once every now and then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you post some screenshots? (pages panel, master page and current page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines