• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master page with editable text region

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very confused and I've asked a similar question previously but I'm hoping someone could explain in a little more detail.

I have created a new master with a header, footer and main content region. The main content needs to be editable for each page I add to the document but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it! Has this changed since the first Indesign CS?

So the header and footer will remain the same throughout the document - if I change that in the master it will then change throughout. The text region will also remain the same throughout but I should be able to add content to that region on each page I create in my document. At the moment I can't. It won't let me select that region I've created on any of the pages in my document.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

If it needs to be changed on every page it doesn't belong on a master. If you want something like "Click here to add text" you can simply ctrl/cmd+shift click it to override the item and bring it to the live page.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make that field a running header, you will not need to override it. To change the date on a given page, have a text field with its edge touching the document page, but its text in the margin. Assign its unique paragraph style to the running header - this way you can type your new date into the frame and it will update in the running header while leaving the header connected to the master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this is a necessary feature -- and it is incorporated, just in a non-intuitive way.

After creating the text field in the master, on each subsequent page simply - cmd+shift click - on the text object to change the text. It will preserve its connection to the master, essentially making it a template field.

If you really want to ensure that you don't need to modify anything more than the content itself, just be sure to set it all up properly in the master for future automatic modifications -- text layout and alignment, right-click and "Set Text Frame Options" to set automatic expansion and alignment, etc.

If setup right in the Master, it actually works really well.

-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steviev13 schrieb:

I agree this is a necessary feature -- and it is incorporated, just in a non-intuitive way.

After creating the text field in the master, on each subsequent page simply - cmd+shift click - on the text object to change the text. It will preserve its connection to the master, essentially making it a template field.

If you really want to ensure that you don't need to modify anything more than the content itself, just be sure to set it all up properly in the master for future automatic modifications -- text layout and alignment, right-click and "Set Text Frame Options" to set automatic expansion and alignment, etc.

If setup right in the Master, it actually works really well.

-S

‌I can only recommend not to override master text frames in any case as it would cause problems if the same or another master is applied or reapplied.  Better is to prepair library elements which can be placed on the same position and layer later.

The only case where you can use a master text frame on a page is, when you use primary text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this changed? I can't find this option anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines