• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master pages best practices question

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file has over 200 individual Master Pages with specific information and graphics on each Master Page.  The file is 1.65 GB and growing larger daily.  The file includes all the marketing for individual job write ups with pictures, resumes, etc, each on an Master Page.

What is the proper way to structure the file with that many Master Pages?  Is there a better way than Master Pages? 

I am new to the program and the individual that created the file is no longer here.  I am having some corruption issues and need to copy all pages (Masters and spreads) to a new file, but am hesitant to do so until I find the best structure solution for the file.  

Thank you.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

I think saving related templates to discrete files for each function, rather than one Mother of All Master Pages might serve you better.

1. You wouldn't have to Cmd/Ctrl+Click on every master page element to release it and replace the canned copy with relevant information.
  2. You would have specialized, smaller files targeted to specific needs — e.g. Bio Pages, Tem Profile Pages, Project Pages, etc.).
  3. Smaller files will be much fgaster and easier to navigate than the one big file you're using now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, 200 Master Pages. How many (roughly) document pages does each Master Page control, and how many total pages is your document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a 'Master Project' Master which all other Project Masters are based off so maybe 75 Masters based of the parent.  Same setup for Resume Masters, etc.  They were originally setup being copied from one spread page to another (horrible workflow) and I have found hopefully most of those.  (I Had previously tried to clean up the file and Masters and when I deleted one duplicate master, I lost about 20 Masters.)  It's a disaster, and probably why the file is corrupt.   

Currently there are 285 spreads in the document.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be a best practice to use 200 different master pages unless it's an incredibly complex and long document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How the file was originally setup was each 'construction project' has it's own Master Page with graphics, etc.  Every person has a Resume Master, etc. and those get pulled down and edited as needed in the spread pages.  The file will continue to grow, but I and not sure if this is the best setup for a project like this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I entirely follow, but it seems like this project is better suited to having a set of Template files instead. 
How many Master Pages share most of their elements, and what parts differ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InkedInkedAnnotation 2020-08-14 142602_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture might help.  Circled Master has subsequent  (red lines) to all others.  Bottom red line is the pages/spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics, layout, etc. elements are the same, pictures and text change on each subsequent master.  I figured if they were all based on one Master Setup for projects, it would be easier to edit graphics, logo's colors etc as they get rolled out from corporate. (instead of changing each one by one as I had to do before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think saving related templates to discrete files for each function, rather than one Mother of All Master Pages might serve you better.

1. You wouldn't have to Cmd/Ctrl+Click on every master page element to release it and replace the canned copy with relevant information.
  2. You would have specialized, smaller files targeted to specific needs — e.g. Bio Pages, Tem Profile Pages, Project Pages, etc.).
  3. Smaller files will be much fgaster and easier to navigate than the one big file you're using now.
  4. It'll save you from total ruin if that single, huge Mother of All Master Pages file gets corrupted and takes down everything you've done with it.

You can find out more about setting up InDesign templates and strategies for using them through the link below:

Working with InDesign Templates

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of of the placed graphics linked and not embedded? How many total links are there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All linked, 6670 Links in the file.  I don't know if this is the correct application to be using. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines