Master Text and Children

Participant ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a group of documents that are similar in some ways for example:

Doc 1 is three PP long, Par A B C

Doc 2 is 5 PP long, Par: A B C D E F

Doc 3 is 4 PP long but has par: A D E F.

etc. etc.

I am constantly fine-tuning very minute changes to these documents.

Is there a way I can work on *one* DOC that has, say, Par A, and as I update that doc, Par A in all the docs will reflect those updates?

Right now I am updating, copying, and pasting, which doesn't seem an efficient way to do things.

Thanks in advance,

Susan 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Creat the longest one (doc 2) and import it in the shortest (1 and 3) by choosing the pages you need to get. Updating the “master” will  also update the “children”

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creat the longest one (doc 2) and import it in the shortest (1 and 3) by choosing the pages you need to get. Updating the “master” will  also update the “children”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I started a new, "child", empty doc.

Imported (place) one page from another ("master") doc.

The page appears in frame in the "child" doc.

returned to "master doc" and deleted one letter.

returned to new "child doc" and the letter is still there...

What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the link panel, you should see the modified icon, exactly as a
modified image. Juste update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Works fine. Just will add that changes to the master doc will not trigger the "update" icon until the master doc is saved.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works exactly as an image link. If you modify an image but do not save the changes, the InDesign document which it is placed in does not “see” the modification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason why the fonts in the child doc are a little blurred? Will this affect the printing output? Is there a way that on the screen it can show correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change your display performances, it is exactly the same when you place a PDF or an AI file with text: it looks blurry if the display performances are set up on “standard”. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you so much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two basic questions (I am still learning:)

1. If the linked page in from the master file gets pushed up because of OTHER things being added to the master file (that I DONT want in the child file) and the linked page gets changed from, say, pg 5 to pg 7 will ID know to continue the link, but now from pg 7?

2. If I move the master file to a different location, will ID ask me where the file is and update the link as programmed or will I have to "relink" all the pages again?

Thanks a million

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If you have placed a single page of your master (let's say page 5) and if you modify the master, you will see the new page 5 in your child file

2. Exactly like an image: you will get a “missing link” warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but maybe you have an ingenious answer to work this out, that even if the linked page changes from 5 to 6, the child document will still show 6?

If I get a missing link warning will it ask me "hey man where is the file, or do I have to totally relink all the links again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. No, I don't think it is possible. You had imported one specific page (i.e. page 5), InDesigh shows you the updated page 5. You need to relink the file to change the page you want to import)

2. It is exactly like any placed file: if you move the link, you get the question mark icon and you have to relink the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines