Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Match colours between PNG and InDesign

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've created some icons/symbols/shapes in Illustrator and exported as PNGs which I've then placed in to InDesign. However, any other objects I've actually created in InDesign, ie squares and shapes I've used the same Hex code but the colours aren't matching with the imported PNGs. (and when i check the Hex code its changed slightly)

Its obviously an RGB/CMYK issue but whats the best way to get them to match, the document will be sent to the printers so needs to be right for them.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Hi Sally,

if you have used the same RGB numbers there would have been no difference.

( Where I assume that the visualisation of all the objects and placed images are with the same RGB color profile, possibly the sRGB profile. ) And that's no RGB vs CMYK issue. InDesign is able to use colors with RGB numbers, CMYK numbers and LAB numbers in the same document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

whats the best way to get them to match

To Illustrate Uwe’s post you have to match color spaces and profiles. Hex is an RGB notation, so your Illustrator document’s color mode has to be RGB, and the assigned RGB profile for both the Illustrator file and InDesign have to match.

Screen Shot.png

InDesign’s Color picker matches the #81bc00 hex value—the ID document’s assigned RGB profile (Edit>Assign Profiles...) is also AdobeRGB. Note that when you use the InDesign Color Picker your cursor placement determi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sally,

if you have used the same RGB numbers there would have been no difference.

( Where I assume that the visualisation of all the objects and placed images are with the same RGB color profile, possibly the sRGB profile. ) And that's no RGB vs CMYK issue. InDesign is able to use colors with RGB numbers, CMYK numbers and LAB numbers in the same document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you save as PNG? Save as PDFX/4 and place that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about creating the icons in CMYK in illustrator.

Place the Ai file in the CMYK InDesign....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still have to match color modes and profiles, and hex values are RGB colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whats the best way to get them to match

To Illustrate Uwe’s post you have to match color spaces and profiles. Hex is an RGB notation, so your Illustrator document’s color mode has to be RGB, and the assigned RGB profile for both the Illustrator file and InDesign have to match.

Screen Shot.png

InDesign’s Color picker matches the #81bc00 hex value—the ID document’s assigned RGB profile (Edit>Assign Profiles...) is also AdobeRGB. Note that when you use the InDesign Color Picker your cursor placement determines the color space of the picked color, so make sure your cursor is in one of the R,G, or B fields

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I hope your issue is resolved already but in case you need more assistance please reply to this thread. 

Else, if any of the solutions above helped, please confirm. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines