• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MathTools plug-in and Conditional Text

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at a publishing company. One of the challenges is having a student edition version with teacher answers. A solution we've been using is creating teacher answers on a separate layer. However, alignment issues and spacing issues always appear. In the past, I worked with another publishing company that used conditional text. It's cleaner and easier to use. However, when I attempted to use this approach, I noticed it does not work with the plug-in, MathTools. Any conditional text that has MathTools styles applied either crashed the program when turning on/off the condition or reverted back to (Unconditional). Is there any way MathTools can be utilized with the Conditional Text feature in InDesign? Help, please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

I have no experience with MathTools so I'm just thinking laterally here. You'll often see people anchoring images to text and controlling the image anchor with conditional text. This is a sneaky way of applying conditional settings to a whole image frame. The same can be done with text frames. While this may complicate your design I'm wondering if putting everything that you need to apply MathTools formatting to in a separate frame which is in turn controlled by conditional text might side-step

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with MathTools so I'm just thinking laterally here. You'll often see people anchoring images to text and controlling the image anchor with conditional text. This is a sneaky way of applying conditional settings to a whole image frame. The same can be done with text frames. While this may complicate your design I'm wondering if putting everything that you need to apply MathTools formatting to in a separate frame which is in turn controlled by conditional text might side-step the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Michael! You're awesome. I don't know why I didn't think of this. I used this solution before with another math plug-in. It works. I just needed someone like you to remind me about this work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey that's great Maria. Happy it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria -- Why not contact the MathTools developer? movemen - Contact

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, for the heads-up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter! Yes, I understand its best to go to the developer. Thanks for the contact info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Maria, this is Ferdinand from movemen.

Can you please share the version of MathTools and InDesign you are using?

You shouldn't see crashes with current versions of MathTools. If you do, I really like to reproduce and fix it.

Here's the intentionally brief story why MathTools currently won't support Conditional Text within MathZones (equations).

Conditional Text may produce unexpected (and sometimes even largely undetected) side-effects due to the way it works: 

Turning off a condition effectively cuts related text ranges out of the story.

For instance, applying a condition to a text range containing all but the last character of a Hyperlink will eliminate all but the last character from the Hyperlink source, after turning the condition off and back on. Use the Hyperlink panel to verify this: only the last character will be part of the Hyperlink.

MathTools MathZones would be affected in a very similar way:

MathTools represents MathZones as sequences of text characters. Those characters carry a payload which MathTools uses to protect the MathZone infrastructure as you modify the equation. You can type into the numerator of a fraction, for example, but you can't delete the characters representing the fraction bar. The same MathZone protection mechanism prevents you from applying a condition to parts of a MathZone to avoid corruption when turning off the condition.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Ferdinand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's what I call service! Maria, you are now connected to Ferdinand who is a very talented developer and overall awesome guy! Share your info with him so he can address your problem. Cheers Ferdinand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, Chad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, Chad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ferdinand! I truly appreciate the time you took to respond and explain the issue. It makes sense.

Michael, one of the responders to this forum, offered a workaround which works. Basically...building the Math in a separate text frame and treating it as an inline object within a text frame. It's a little more time consuming in the beginning. However, it saves time in the long run because you don't need to worry about reflowing the text on another layer when text is added/subtracted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

MathTools V2/V3 has a feature to wrap a MathZone into a inline frame that fits the MathZone.

You'll find it in the text context sub menu > Math. Or use QuickApply and type "Wrap MathZone".

This works on the selection context. Means you can select a paragraph, for example, and have any MathZone wrapped into a inline text frame. You may also reverse this operation using Unwrap MathZone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to this post I´ve discover MathTools and I´m back here to alert about their infamous license system. After install the plugin if you need to move it to another machine (in case o upgrade, by example) it can only be done paying a 40 euro fee additional to the montly license you already pay. I´ve never heard about something like this and get me surprise (unfortunatelly after aquisition). This information is not clear on their site an it´s the reason a came here to make it clear to everyone who intent to purchanse it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines