• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media panel greyed out

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a grey media panel that doesn't do antything at the moment. Bob Levine suggested to reset my preferences. Unfornunatly that doesn't help. Is there anybody who has a solution? Thanks in advance!
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you successfully reset your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell from your screen grab, but you have to have media placed (video or audio). Then the panel will "light up."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane, that was my first thought until I saw the screen shot. That panel totally empty, not dimmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Missing elements in Panels and other interface issues can usually be restored by deleting your InDesign cache files which is not the same as deleting preferences.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesignā€™s cache files are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (itā€™s the folder with an icon that looks like a houseā€”it may have the userā€™s name rather than ā€œHomeā€) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. ā€œLibraryā€ will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the ā€œCachesā€ folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire folder ā€œAdobe InDesignā€. I find that deleting the InDesign cache folder completely leads to a lasting change.

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select ā€œShow hidden files and foldersā€ or ā€œShow hidden files, folders or drive optionsā€ in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

when with InDesign 2021 and you want to reset preferences, first do a backup of the corresponding Version 16.0 folder.

To access the folder:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html#restore_...

Quit InDesign.

Backup the Version 16.0 folder.

Remove the Version 16.0 folder.

Restart InDesign.

InDesign will build the folder from scratch.

You may want to do this also with the Version 16.0 folder of the InDesign cache.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and tried the solutions mentioned in the thread but none of the suggestions worked.

But what worked for me was taking the <Media> Tab and draging in back in the right-side toolbar menu. 

Not sure why, but it seems to have reset the "media" tab.

hope that helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Resetting preferences should help in this scenario. In addition to the suggestions given earlier, please try the troubleshooting steps on this community post & see if they make a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines