• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menus inaccessible and Indesign totally unusable.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only do the menus flicker and disappear when I go to them, if I open a document or create a new one, I cannot do anything to it. Cannot alter text, move anything, or do anything. My programme is completely unusable. Before you ask, in the past 3 weeks I have done EVERYTHING, from rebooting, uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling, checking RAM, monitors, systems, fonts, had 2 Adobe support peope look at it. An IT techie has visited and tried to help but no go. A team from Adobe was supposed to call me twice, but have done so only once, and because it was after I had said I would be available, I was out of town and unable to deal with the problem. Their second appointment they promised  has been and gone, with no phone call, no email, no nothing -  and still no help. My business is suffering as my main work is with InDesign. To say I am angry and frustrated is understatement of the year. How can I get help that really does help?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start with two basic questions:
What's your version of InDesign?
What's your version of operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same problem is the one I have in my iMac and my Macbook Pro, both with CC2019 and CC2020, and now with CC2021: after just launching InDesign, no shorcut works. I am disabling the "Star page" and using old "New document" dialog box.

InDesign 15.1.3

MacOS 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS on the Mac? What specs are the computers?

These are usually down to bad drivers. 

But there are special cleaning tools for reinstalling - https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Before we go that route try resetting your preferences

Using a keyboard shortcut:
  1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. ...
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cmnd-N not working (sometimes) after a fresh start of ID is a known 'bug', there is a fix coming at least for 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Uwe,

But I am afraid it is not as simple as my OS (which is latest Windows 10, and Indesign is latest version as well as earlier 15.0). I might add that all of my other Adobe cloud apps are working perfectly well: Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator etc. No problem with them at all. It is only Indesign. I have reset my preferences more times than I care to remember, and I have uninstalled, used Adobe cleaning tool, and reinstalled also multiple times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not an InDesign issue, it is an issue with your specific OS, drivers or computer. You did not give us any info in that. Try to install a fresh OS and reinstall InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe ... I have replied to your note above. It might be helpful if I summarise what is happening and what I have done.

• OS is latest Windows 10
  • IDD is latest CC 16.0 ( also have and tried version 15.1.3)
  • All other products in the Adobe CC suite are working normally
  • Drivers are updated, system working well and as normal for everything else.
  • Preferences reset multiple times
  • Roll back of system didn't help.
  • IDD uninstalled, cleaned with Adobe cleaning tool, and reinstalled numerous times.
  • Remote help from Adobe rep found no solution after working on my machine for an hour so he wrote  "... escalated it to the senior support person , we would like to inform you that we are reviewing your case as you are facing this issue since long time and the issue is not resolved , we look closer to your issue and try to find the root cause of the issue so that we will share the best resolution with you. our team will call you in next 24 to 48 business hour."  This call never happened.
  • Outside IT help called in, again no result after checking drivers, RAM, and everything else you would expect to be responsible.

Can't think of anything else I can add. It's just a mess. But thank you for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the info NZChurchmouse,

so let's think of other factors like non-adobe-software that is running along with InDesign…

As I learned yesterday a not updated anti-virus app running in the background could prevent InDesign from starting.

This case might not be the cause of your problems, I only mentioned it as an example that background processes on your system could influence InDesign. If you want to read into this particular one see:

Problem with starting Adobe InDesign, error message
Maximilian5C9A, Nov 11, 2020
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/problem-with-starting-adobe-indesign-error-message/td-p/1158...

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to create a new user account in Windows? I haven't read about this being an issue for a while, but at one point there was a conflict with interactive Bing wallpapers. If you're using one, reset it to the standard wallpaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to helpful suggestions given earlier, I'd recommend following suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) and let us know if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines