Highlighted

Merge

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use the data merge function for a wine expo booklet that I'm designing, but when I go to select the data source from my CSV file (also tried it as a tab delimited file), I get the following error message. "File contains characters that cannot be encoded." Most of the information in the original excel file was copy and pasted from multiple different people and there's a possibility that some of the data could have been directly copied and pasted from the internet. Also some of the letters might have accents, umlauts, etc because there are French and German wines listed, but I'm pretty sure I tried to clean all of those up. I was wondering if my excel file may have some hidden special characters that Indesign refuses to recognize. Is there a way to clean up my excel file, so Indesign will accept it? Maybe there's some sort of VBA formula I can use? Or perhaps, there is something entirely else wrong. I'd appreciate any kind of help or insight. The original excel file plus error message is attached. Thanks so much and let me know if there's any more information I could give you that could be of more help.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

I think the problem is the colon in the column J headline.

I copied a portion of your sheet and made a tab-delimited file of it. When I tried to select the file for data merge, I did not get an error, but the fields did not show in the data merge panel.

Screenshot 2019-03-29 11.31.41.png

I went back into the file and deleted that one colon, and then it worked as expected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Merge

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use the data merge function for a wine expo booklet that I'm designing, but when I go to select the data source from my CSV file (also tried it as a tab delimited file), I get the following error message. "File contains characters that cannot be encoded." Most of the information in the original excel file was copy and pasted from multiple different people and there's a possibility that some of the data could have been directly copied and pasted from the internet. Also some of the letters might have accents, umlauts, etc because there are French and German wines listed, but I'm pretty sure I tried to clean all of those up. I was wondering if my excel file may have some hidden special characters that Indesign refuses to recognize. Is there a way to clean up my excel file, so Indesign will accept it? Maybe there's some sort of VBA formula I can use? Or perhaps, there is something entirely else wrong. I'd appreciate any kind of help or insight. The original excel file plus error message is attached. Thanks so much and let me know if there's any more information I could give you that could be of more help.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by SJRiegel | Adobe Community Professional

I copied a portion of your sheet and made a tab-delimited file of it. When I tried to select the file for data merge, I did not get an error, but the fields did not show in the data merge panel.

I went back into the file and deleted that one colon, and then it worked as expected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 29, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files cannot be directly attached to forum messages. (images can be added to posts created on the forum, but not via email)

You could share the files via dropbox, or another file sharing service, and put the link in the forum. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019 0
Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2019 0
Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way to include a colon. I think it needs to be inside of quotes (":").

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2019 0
Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with my peers here, the header fields can't contain colons. Unfortunately, the help page for InDesign doesn't provide for troubleshooting like this... this is why I wrote the missing troubleshooting guide for Data Merge: https://indesignsecrets.com/troubleshooting-data-merge-errors.php

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2019 1
New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi , 

i importe my data from EXCEL ( CSV) to indesign , but i want to place the 2 line of my data  by page .

thinks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0