Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging documents but avoiding styles

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I have 41 files sent by a customer, they are messy! I know how to bring them all together into one file, which i do so i can do find replace for folio text for different shops.

But this year their files are more messy than usual and im getting styles used that clash with other styles and change text colour. The customer uses one style but then changes colour in the document. so a red page comes in but the style makes it orange.

How can i bring all these 160 pages together into one file avoiding the mess of different styles being applied?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

1.jpg

I think the best you can do is synchronize styles across all the documents in your book, then map (bad) styles to known (good) styles on a document-by-document basis. And since we're talking about making the correct judgement calls here, I don't know if there'd be a scriptable solution either. But I'm sure as I write that if there is, some script maven will pipe up and offer those options if they're available.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a book! Then set a Master with the correct styles and use that to sync. But that still can not catch a renamed style in some documents of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea but i cant do find and replace in book can i?

And i need to find the text at the bottom of all pages and change it. i wanted to do it in one go instead of opening all 41 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg

I think the best you can do is synchronize styles across all the documents in your book, then map (bad) styles to known (good) styles on a document-by-document basis. And since we're talking about making the correct judgement calls here, I don't know if there'd be a scriptable solution either. But I'm sure as I write that if there is, some script maven will pipe up and offer those options if they're available.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open all the documents and set your Find/Replace dialog to make the change in all open document, instead of just the currently active one. 

For a quick-and-dirty way to avoid the style conflicts if you want to move all of the pages into one document:  

Before moving the pages, make a Style Group with a unique in each document for Paragraph Styles and Character Styles, and move all styles for that document into the group. The result will be messy (41 different style groups in the final document), but it will get you around the problem in the short term.
Another option, if the Styles are so compromised by overrides that they are essentially useless, is to use Break Link to Style on all text (for Character and Paragraph Styles) before moving the pages over. Also less than ideal, but it does allow you to get all of your pages together in one document without having styles make unwanted changes to the formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate answer correct.

If you used any other method, please share it here. It'll help other users having similar concern.

If you still have issues, let us know. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines