• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft Word to InDesign endnotes at end of each chapter, is this possible?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, I've just started a layout on a pretty large book, and am running into issues with the endnotes. It's a historical reference book, and as such, has extensive notes which work much better as endnotes than they do as footnotes, some are several paragraphs long. 

The author has given me the book in many seperate word docx files, front matter, appendices and bibliography which are all fine, the problem I'm having is within the chapters themselves. Each chapter has over 100 endnotes, each chapter starting at 1-115, etc. When I place the files in sequence, the endnotes are all getting sent to the very end of the document in one piece.

The author wants the endnotes to appear at the end of each chapter, as opposed to towards the end of the book. Been racking my brain on how to do this, and the only solution I can think of is taking the endnote list, reformatting it, number each entry 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc, going to each superscripted reference and manually re-entering the numbers, then cutting and pasting the reformatted endnote list at the end of each chapter. 

This of course will be a very time consuming headache and I also run the risk of error, on a rather tight deadline so I'm wondering if there's a workaround to this, or if not, going to the author and suggesting the endnotes all be in one section towards the end of the book. 

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, if I have to do it the more old school manual way I will, but wanted to see if there are any shortcuts before diving into that.

Thank you,

Peter

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Have you change the endnote positioning preferences?

I don't know how large the project is, but with that many endnotes per chapter, I assume it is a reasonable page count. I would break the chapters into separate documents and use the InDesign Book file to link the documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you change the endnote positioning preferences?

I don't know how large the project is, but with that many endnotes per chapter, I assume it is a reasonable page count. I would break the chapters into separate documents and use the InDesign Book file to link the documents.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines