• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing font problem with InDesign 15.0.2 and 15.0.3

Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find I can't upgrade from InDesign 15.0 to 15.0.2 or 15.0.3. If I do, when I open documents I get may notices about fonts that are missing. The documents open fine in InDesign 15.0, and the fonts are on my Mac. I puzzled why 15.0 has no problem with them whereas 15.0.2 and 15.0.3 can't see the font.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Hi Ashutosh,

I saw that InDesign 15.1 came out today and updated to it, but I still had the problem with InDesign not finding a font family I use all the time. Out of frustration, I contacted Adobe support and was told that since the font was not an Adobe font, I should contact the font maker. I knew there wasn't a problem because the font worked fine in the latest PhotoShop 21.2.0 which I installed today, and it worked fine in all my other applications.

I checked my InDesign setup and saw that I

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We have fixed the missing font issue in Adobe InDesign 15.0.3 as per https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39867358-major-system-f...

You should not have similar issue with the latest release.

Please share version of OS you have on your machine. Also share if you have this issue with a specific font or file.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after reverting to 15.0, I held off upgrading until 15.0.3 came out. I upgraded to 15.0.3, and immediately, the first time I tried to open one of my InDesign documents, I got the font unavailable messages. 15.0.3 did not fix the problem for me. I reverted back to 15.0 and have no font problems. I am running Catalina 10.15.4 on a MacBook Pro 13".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you gave has comments from many others who find that 15.0.3 has not fixed the font problem. I think the programmers should go back and see how the code in 15.0 handles fonts and compare that to how the code in 15.0.3 handles fonts. Something is very different and is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new MacBook Pro this week and did some more testing on it. What I find is that InDesign 15.0 and 15.0.1 handle fonts without a problem. InDesign 15.0.2 and 15.0.3 are broken as far as font handling is concerned and are unusable. Hopefully 15.0.4 will fix the problem. I'm curious what 15.0.2 and 15.0.3 are doing that earlier versions of InDesign aren’t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

I saw that InDesign 15.1 came out today and updated to it, but I still had the problem with InDesign not finding a font family I use all the time. Out of frustration, I contacted Adobe support and was told that since the font was not an Adobe font, I should contact the font maker. I knew there wasn't a problem because the font worked fine in the latest PhotoShop 21.2.0 which I installed today, and it worked fine in all my other applications.

I checked my InDesign setup and saw that I had the font Iowan Old Style.ttc in both the Adobe InDesign 2020->Fonts folder and the Library->Fonts folder. I removed the copy from the Adobe InDesign 2020->Fonts folder, restarted Adobe InDesign 15.1, and the problem with InDesign not finding the font went away. I am relieved because I use that font in hundreds of documents, and if InDesign could no longer find the font, I was looking at finding an alternative to using InDesign.

InDesign versions up through 15.0.1 had no problem dealing with a font being in more than one folder, but starting with version 15.0.2, InDesign, including version 15.1, couldn't handle the setup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This was the clue I needed - I was working with a customer's neatly packaged InDesign file and being told all the document fonts were missing when they were RIGHT THERE in the folder if nothing else, and a default Mac font at that (Avenir family). Once I removed the "Document Fonts" folder from the package, the document opened perfectly. This is DEFINITELY a problem with 15.0.2 / 15.0.3, as the same document had opened for me previously without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that helped. I'm still having intermitment font problems with InDesign 15.1, though not as bad as with 15.0.2 and 15.0.3. I did receive this update from Adobe on June 19:

I have escalated this issue to our engineering team and they are working on this to fix this issue. We have seen this issue with some other users also. We will be releasing a patch file in a form of update very soon. Please give us some time. I will notify you on the email once the new update is released. 

So, Adobe is aware of the issue and is trying to fix it. Hopefully they will have a permanent fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe release InDesign 15.1.1 yesterday. I got an email from Adobe that it fixes the font problem. I got two font warnings when I first used it, one when I opened a document. I skipped the font warning, and there was no problem with the fonts. The second warning I got when I exported the document as a pdf. The export went fine, but in InDesign, the "missing" fonts got switched. But closeing and reopening the document fixed the issue. Since then, no warnings, and the fonts that used to missing frequently all work fine.

15.1.1 works much better than the 15.02 through 15.1 versions of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines