• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

missing fonts

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just transfered CS suite to a new computer and InDesign won't start by complaining "missing required system fonts or CS Mapfiles. Please reinstall InDesign." Since all other programs are working fine, I am reluctant to reinstall the entire package. Also, it wouldn't probably solve the problem, as the reason is probably the change of OS, from win7 to win10. How can I get the missing parts?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

If what you meant is that you copied InDesign from one computer to another, that simply won't work. There are many files in a number of directories beyond the base InDesign directory. Plus, there is gaggle of Windows Registry entries associated with not only InDesign, but other members of the Creative Suite. If that is what you did, delete the copied files and then fully reinstall and activate the product using your original media and serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you meant is that you copied InDesign from one computer to another, that simply won't work. There are many files in a number of directories beyond the base InDesign directory. Plus, there is gaggle of Windows Registry entries associated with not only InDesign, but other members of the Creative Suite. If that is what you did, delete the copied files and then fully reinstall and activate the product using your original media and serial number.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov's telling you right.

You need to install CS6 for it to work. It's not a copy and paste operation like some other Mac apps, and that almost never works on the Windows platform. The install puts lots of files needed to run InDesign in various folders in your system besides what's in your "Adobe InDesign CS6" folder. You're not going to get them, and get them put in the right place, unless you do a complete valid installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I copied files, none of other programs would work. The original disk, that was for win7, won't install on win10. I transfered the entire suite by using a professional transfer program. If all the other programs work fine, then the problem canot be in the transfer program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but we do know what we are talking about. Those so-called “professional transfer programs” simply don't work with Adobe software. You are lucky if any of the Adobe programs work via that type of process.

To get the software to install, you might need to run the installer in Windows 7 compatiblity mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, the problem isn't in the transfer program.

The problem is the transfer program. Just because they advertised that's how it'd work doesn't mean it actually will. As you're discovering here. If it's any consolation, you're not the first person who's come here saying that didn't work. There are several of these "professional" and "Microsoft certified" programs around that really aren't and just don't work for this. You should ask for your money back.

Also, for what it's worth, Adobe clearly reports that CS6 is not compatible with Windows 10. So even if that transfer program did work, there's no guarantee that InDesign CS6 would run on your Windows 10 system if it did make the trip.

Sorry I don't have any better news for you. But you're not alone. You have lots of company.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advise! The transfer program is excellent (and happened to be cheap), as I transfered dozens of old win7 programs and this is the only one that doesn't work. In fact, I am worried that by trying to fix it, e.g., by experimenting with win7 compatible mode, I might screw up other programs. I just thought that adding the missing font files will solve the problem. Thus, the best advise so far is to celebrate that all other CS2 programs work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, that makes it Adobe's fault? Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well CS2 can no longer be installed, transferred or used on a new computer. It's dead. We assumed at least it was CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surely not the only one moving to a new computer while trying to keep old, familiar (supposedly dead) programs. I found that one can  neither install an old Adobe CS version on win10 from CD/DVD (not sure about iOS and Linux), nor run it in win7, 8 or XP mode. To help someone in my situation, here is a solution: 1) Don't listen to anyone who is telling you that your only option is to buy the new version. 2) Download and install the free trial of EaseUS Todo PC Trans (https://www.easeus.com/free-pc-transfer-software/). 3) After setting PC Trans up on the new and the old computer, transfer CS from the old to the new computer. Transferring two apps is free (make sure to uncheck all files and other programs) and most parts of CS will work just fine. 4) Parts that are not working can be fixed now by runnig the original installation disc and picking repair, instead of installation options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On behalf of Adobe:

(1)    No version of the Adobe Creative Suite programs ever installed or ran on iOS or Linux.

(2)    We agree that no one should tell you that your only option is to buy the new version. That having been said, you should be aware that if you buy a “new” computer you pretty much are required to run the latest version of the operating system, whether a Mac or a PC; old operating system versions do not support much of the new hardware and/or features of same. And unlike the past, the operating system developers (i.e., Apple and Microsoft) absolutely do not guarantee that versions of application software that ran on older operating system versions will run on new versions of the same operating system. This is as much a “pain in the tuchas” to application developers as it is to end-users. That having been said, you should always assume that if you buy a new computer and/or migrate (voluntarily or not) to a new major operating system version that you may need to upgrade your application software – and budget for same. If you can't afford updated versions of applications that properly install, run, and are fully supported on a new OS release, then in reality, you really can't afford the new computer and/or OS release. (I will not get into issues of software vulnerabilities and lack of any technical support for application software that has not been supported by its developer for many years.)

(3)    Our experience is that application software “transfer” programs typically do a very incomplete job or transferring an application from one system to another. It isn't just program files that need to be copied, but also preferences and settings that are often shared with other Adobe software that are maintained in a number of other locations both in the file system and in the case of Windows, in the Windows registry. You are on your own here. Neither Adobe nor these communities can provide support.

With that, this thread is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines