Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing links for text box

Participant ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I've got a simple 4-page pamphlet with some text boxes and a few imported Ai designs.

Illustrator is telling me that I have 6 missing links. All of them are text boxes.

I don't understand, it is saying missing a font or something ? All my text is visible in my document and PDF export.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 14.30.40.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those look like placed Word files and for some reason you've linked them when placing. Go to your preferences and turn that option off and then you can right click the missing links and embed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

I think I know what happened. I copied and passed text from a word document.

Where is the option to turn that off in preferences ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy/paste would not cause that, only placing would cause that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that make sense.

But I just didn't drag and drop or placed Word files in my Indesing doc.

How could I fix that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem, don't know why. I simply right clicked and "unlinked" the missing text from the links panel and now everything is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This fixed it. I think somehow they were story links. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alexnapo23  wrote

… 

Illustrator is telling me that I have 6 missing links. All of them are text boxes.

Hi Alex,

ah! Missing text file links from placed Illustrator files.

So you have to go to Illustrator to solve that problem, if it's any problem at all.

What's a bit weird is the last missing link that is listed. The one with no name where PB is indicating that the text is on the pasteboard. Maybe Illustrator can inform you what's up with that?

If you need help with Illustrator questions ask here:

Illustrator

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. But as you can see from the links panel screenshot, the illustrator files are the ones that are correctly linked.

It's the text boxes that are an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a typo, Uwe. The links are missing in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Indesign, these are bits of text that I had copied from another Indesign documents. They still read as text with the same font attributes and everything, but shows up as a missing link in my links window.

Whats worse is that if I update modified links when I open the documant it insted of resolving the issue it completely changes the text atributes and i have to go back and reformat each pice of text.

I first noticed this with the 2019 version of CC, but it still continues with the 16.0.2 version of Indesign in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines