• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing pantone color Indesign CC 2021

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have selected a color through my "Formula Guide Solid Coated" printed swatch. The color is the Pantone 2310 C and somehow I can't find it in the Indesign "solid coated" digital swatch. Any clue why and where to find it?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

The Pantone .acb swatch libraries that get installed with InDesign haven’t been updated since CS6. To get the most recent Pantone books you can install the free Pantone Connect Extension (Window>Find Extensions on Exchange...):

Screen Shot 24.pngScreen Shot 25.png

Screen Shot 26.png

One thing to watchout for with the current version is the PANTONE Bridge Libraries are supposed to be Pantone’s recommended CMYK simulations for the solid ink spots colors. When you click a Bridge swatch more icon there is an option to add the Bridge color to yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that the Pantone Formula Guide Solid Coated book published in 2021 is newer than the InDesign version released in late 2020?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pantone .acb swatch libraries that get installed with InDesign haven’t been updated since CS6. To get the most recent Pantone books you can install the free Pantone Connect Extension (Window>Find Extensions on Exchange...):

Screen Shot 24.pngScreen Shot 25.png

Screen Shot 26.png

One thing to watchout for with the current version is the PANTONE Bridge Libraries are supposed to be Pantone’s recommended CMYK simulations for the solid ink spots colors. When you click a Bridge swatch more icon there is an option to add the Bridge color to your swatches, but the color gets added as process Lab and not the listed CMYK value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot Rob, this answer was perfect and really easy to follow with your screenshots!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a a free extension? I installed this and it's asking me to pay to join to use Pantone Connect? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind--it's just a prompt that keeps showing up at different times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note that prior to 2010, the Pantone lists in Adobe software were simply called "Pantone".  After that (CS6 and up), they are called "Pantone+" [Plus]. The Pantone+ colors stayed that way until about 2019 (although new colors were periodically added from 2010-2019 to the Plus libraries). Sometime in 2019, they dropped the + [Plus] moniker and emphasized the "Formula Guide" name. However, Adobe software is still installing the Plus libraries. Now, with their extension, it looks like Pantone is trying to get into the subscription business too, although they do have a free version of their account.

My opinions for using Pantone color guides...

Solid Colors: Use the Formula Guide IF you are actually printing spot/solid colors. If printing as a true spot color, you can make your own spot color in Adobe software, naming by the PMS #, and make the color look as visually close as possible to the color. This will print out on a separate separation and the printer will print with the PMS # ink mix. (Tell them what version of the guide you are using.) For example, fluorscent and metalic inks can't be reproduced on screen, so if doing a 5/C job, I don't really need to use the libraries to create the color. 

Color Bridge (previously Solid to Process guide): I use this ONLY when a client gives me a solid color # and I'm printing in process (CMYK). I do NOT use it to pick colors for a CMYK-only job. I call it my "CYA guide"--I can look up how close the color will print in CMYK and warn the client in advance, rather than the client getting mad after the job is printed. (I refer to it as "being disappointed up front rather than after-the-fact". 

Process Guides: I used these when I am picking the colors for a process-only job. Also, if a client does not have a predetermined color in mind (that is, a Pantone spot color), I show them this guide. I still have to warn them about differences in paper and press quality, but generally, the guides are pretty close the the final job. The nice thing about the CMYK guides is that they don't go out of style like the spot colors do. If you take good care of the guide, it can last a LONG time. I still use the old Pantone guides. (BTW, I have the old pre-Plus Pantone libraries if anyone needs them.)

Laser Print Exception: If the final output is a laster printer, I'll test the true spot color against the Color Bridge conversion. Since lasers use toner and "bake" the toner to the top of the paper, they can sometimes do a better job printing the actual spot color. But you need to test it first. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Creamer Training Looks like the search and add swatch functions will continue to be free with Pantone Connect, the subscription version will be needed if you want to store and share custom libraries with Pantone.

Screen Shot 16.png 

The Bridge Libraries continue to be a mess in the latest Connect version. A PANTONE Color Bridge swatch still gets added as a process Lab Color. Connect does list a single mystery device CMYK value for Bridge swatches, but you will have to manually edit the swatch to get those values. 

Instead of using Bridge swatches you can color manage Lab to CMYK conversions of any Solid color by converting the Formula Guide spot color’s Lab value to the final output CMYK destination and setting it to process. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/branding-color-guide/td-p/10818696

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, which is why I typed "...although they do have a free version of their account"--I just didn't go into detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you didn't go into detail. I'd be embarrassed if I were you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a bizarre post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh - let me spell it out for you poindexter;

Adobe's subscription model sucks balls, and now so does Pantone's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of us here don't work for Adobe--we are just trying to help other users with questions/problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it seems that I need the subscription to use add to swatch? Or am I wrong? Does not work for me unfortunately...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it seems that I need the subscription to use add to swatch? Or am I wrong? Does not work for me unfortunately...

Yes, it looks like the Basic mode will not allow you to add a swatch or get the values.

If you don’t need all of the Pantone Connect features try downloading the InDesign Pantone charts from the link below. The charts are searchable and you can drag and drop a swatch into another ID doc. These are not .acb libraries, all of the swatches are contained in the chart documents:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/cdac4aa5-ebad-42d1-5a89-9cc0e015f2fa

There are an extra 637 metallic swatches included in the coated chart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your answer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amazing. Thanks so much for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines