My coworkers can't open a indesign dokument/idml because of a missing plugin

How do i fix it?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

You will have to either identify the plug-in and find out if it is available and install it on the coworkers' machine(s) or have the person who created the original file resave the document with that plug-in disabled (depending on the plug-in this may alter part of the document). An IDML of a document that requires a certain plug-in will not usually do away with that document's need for the plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to do idml again.

Or ask here (download to some dropbox/yadisk and give it the link). 

Or here - https://forum.rudtp.ru/threads/zaprosy-na-ponizhenie-versii-indesign-indd-to-idml-indd-to-inx.44870/

In most cases idml helps! Instead CS3 and below - needs to do .inx

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried the idml many times - nothing happens, still wont open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give it the file here throughout some dropbox/yadisk. May be some forum-men help you to convert.
Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to either identify the plug-in and find out if it is available and install it on the coworkers' machine(s) or have the person who created the original file resave the document with that plug-in disabled (depending on the plug-in this may alter part of the document). An IDML of a document that requires a certain plug-in will not usually do away with that document's need for the plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill

I have over 3,000 indd files effected by a now missing element of a 30 day Xmpie plugin that was an eval copy and expired long ago. Seems the pluin went in with ID2018 -I am using ID2020. I have no idea why the problem just poppped up now - BUT am thourly hooped. Any suggestions? (please & ty)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand why you would use a plug-in that you only had a thirty day license for to create that many documents or how you could create that many files in just thirty days. But the answer I gave over a year ago is still the best advice. Find an updated version of the plug-in and buy it legitimately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, what an "answer".

1. He clearly stated it was evaluation copy.
  2. Obviously it was decided it didn't suit his needs if he didn't buy it after evaluating it.
  3.  "Find an updated version of the plug-in and buy it legitimately." Let's skip over the arrogant assumption that he was somehow trying to get something for free or find a way to get around licensing it. The man simply doesn't want the error message popping up everytime he owpens a file that was created when an unsuitable plugin was being evaluated. Considering the cost would be over US$ 2000 to "buy it legitimately" that's perhaps not the best option to get rid of a silly error message.
  4.  "I'm not sure I understand...how you could create that many files in just thirty days." Perhaps he works faster than you do, Bill. or perhaps there was a team. My team can easily create and process thousands of file a month...just depends on what the job entails.

BTW, I've used XmPie for over 10 years and recently decided against renewing my 2 licenses for it for my team as we've found that using InDesign's own data merge function, and the free vesion of PDFSam and the QuiteImposing plugin we can do everything we need for a fraction of the cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this answer posted earlier.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-xmpie-ucreate-plug-in/td-p/11467816?page=1

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines